New to motogp.com?Register here

Tickets purchase
VideoPass purchase

Checa targets further improvement from Ducati and Bridgestone

Checa targets further improvement from Ducati and Bridgestone

Checa targets further improvement from Ducati and Bridgestone

Carlos Checa insists there is still plenty of improvement to come from both Ducati and Bridgestone despite setting record lap times in the recent MotoGP tests at Sepang and Phillip Island.

Checa was delighted with his pace and consistency, particularly in Australia, but has already targeted the areas he will be looking to work on at the next test in Qatar starting on 1st March.

"The three days of tests at Phillip Island were very positive, both in terms of the lap times I was able to set and the work we did on the Desmosedici GP5 and Bridgestone tyres," said Checa.

"Right from the first day it felt quite easy to set a good pace and on the second day I was one of only a few riders to lap under 1'30. The most important thing is that my fast laps weren't isolated, they were consistent, and my pace was good even though we kept breaking off to make changes with the chassis and the new tyres.

"I would say that right now the bike has around a 30% margin for improvement whilst the other 70% is in the development and evolution of the tyres. In any case, both testing sessions at Sepang and Phillip Island have been positive and even though there is still a long way to go I think we're on the right lines.

"We found a good base set-up for the Desmosedici and some very interesting indications on which to work in the future. Now it's time for a short break and then we'll be back to work in Qatar."

Tags:
MotoGP, 2005, Carlos Checa

Other updates you may be interested in ›