New to motogp.com?Register here

Tickets purchase
VideoPass purchase

Konica Minolta Honda announce new partnership

Konica Minolta Honda announce new partnership

Konica Minolta Honda announce new partnership

On the eve of the new season and with Shinya Nakano ready for action in Qatar, Konica Minolta Honda have announced a new sponsorship deal with the organising committee of the World Cycling Championship Varese 2008.

Japan International Racing (JiR), who own the Konica Minolta Honda team and Varese 2008 Spa, the organising company for the 2008 world road-race cycling championship, have signed a two-year agreement for the Varese logo to be displayed on Nakano's RC212V race bike for the forthcoming two seasons.

The Varese 2008 championship will attract cyclists from throughout the world and through their association with another two-wheeled sport the organisers are looking forward to raising their profile. They hope that the exposure gained by displaying their logo on Nakano's bike for the 18 races of the MotoGP championship, which is followed by journalists of more than 200 nationalities, will increase interest in their own event.

Amedeo Colombo, Varese 2008 Spa president, explained: "I'm very happy to have undersigned this agreement which links us to JiR and the Konica Minolta Honda team. We would like our worldwide championship - Varese 2008 - to be remembered as an event of a level that has never been achieved before and the passion for two-wheels has been the main driving force of this project."

Meanwhile Nakano anticipated the return to competitive action this weekend saying: "I'm looking forward to the first race of the season at Qatar. I have a new team and a new package with the Honda RC212V and Michelin tyres. We have completed four tests over the winter and we're maybe 80% there so I'm looking at making the other 20% up during the race weekend. The new 800cc machines will, I think, make for more competitive racing, although maybe it will be harder to overtake."

"Qualifying will be key this year and I think I need to have more time getting used to the Michelin qualifying tyres. I can feel the performance and grip but can't use all that potential, so perhaps we need to look at our qualifying set-up a little. As a rider I always say there is never enough time on the bike in qualifying."

Tags:
MotoGP, 2007

Other updates you may be interested in ›