Iannone leads 125c class in Donington Park opener
Despite the presence of seven British riders (three regulars + four wildcard entries) in the 125cc class at Donington Park, it was an Italian, a Spaniard and a Hungarian who showed the best early form in the opening lower cylinder category practice session.
Andrea Iannone was the pacesetter under the cloudy Midlands sky, stopping the clock with a fastest time of 1´37.705. The I.C Team rider proved himself to be highly capable in wet weather when he took his maiden Grand Prix victory in China back in May, something that will prove invaluable with the unpredictable British weather.
The provisional poleman at both Mugello and Barcelona -a position confirmed with a first pole position at the latter- Pol Espargaro started as he means to go on in the first 125cc practice session at Donington Park. The Belson Derbi rider was just over a tenth of a second off Iannone´s marker, with the teenager chasing his first World Championship win after a series of podium finishes.
Gabor Talmacsi was third fastest, almost inseparable from Espargaro. The 2007 World Champion was a mere 0´001 slower than last season´s Rookie of the Year, in turn ahead of Tomoyoshi Koyama and Nico Terol.
Talmacsi´s Bancaja Aspar teammate Sergio Gadea was sixth on the timing screen, despite a crash at the Esses early on in the session. The quickest home rider was DeGraaf Grand Prix´s Danny Webb, ahead of Joan Olive, Simone Corsi and fellow Britain Scott Redding.
- Wednesday, 12 March 2014
- Bridgestone expecting rapid Qatar race pace
- Monday, 10 March 2014
- Espargaro undergoes successful collarbone surgery
- Ducati Team 2014 project presented at Munich’s Audi Forum
- Marquez: "Defending the title is a new challenge for me"
- Barbera and Di Meglio taking practical approach
- Important test for Petrucci ahead of round one
- Laverty: ‘We can be stronger this season’
- Iannone and Hernandez reflect on testing progress
- Abraham optimistic after improvements at Qatar
- New DRIVE M7 Aspar Team line up complete winter testing
- Wednesday, 5 March 2014
- Mariñelarena out of induced coma
- Caterham welcome AirAsia onboard for Moto2™ debut season
- Friday, 28 February 2014
- Mariñelarena suffers injury during a private test
- Tuesday, 11 March 2014
- Fenati a tenth ahead on opening day at Jerez
- Thursday, 6 March 2014
- Racing Team Germany aiming high
- Thursday, 27 February 2014
- Sky Racing Team by VR46 presentation takes place in Milan
- Thursday, 20 February 2014
- More rapid pace for record-beating Miller
- Wednesday, 19 February 2014
- Miller blisteringly fast as Hanika impresses
- Monday, 17 February 2014
- Alex Rins undergoes surgery on right wrist
- Thursday, 13 February 2014
- Miller on top as Antonelli crashes in Spain