New to here

Tickets purchase
VideoPass purchase

Red Bull Rookie Stafford recovering at home

Red Bull Rookie Stafford recovering at home

English rider hurt at Gran Premio de España recuperating at home with his family.

Harry Stafford, badly concussed after crashing during the first Red Bull MotoGP Rookies Cup race of the season in Jerez, is resting at home in England and continues to make a good recovery.

“We got home Saturday afternoon and it’s good to be back,” said the 15 year-old who crashed on the sixth lap while battling for the lead in a close pack and was run over. He sustained a broken right collarbone and a bang to the head that knocked him out and though not deeply unconscious he was taken to hospital in Cadiz where he made slow but steady progress.

“I only remember bits of the race but I know I was enjoying it and not having any trouble running that pace, not trying too hard. I’ve watched the race and the crash on the website quite a few times and I can see that I was pretty comfortable where I was at the front. It was just a bit unlucky that the racing was so close that I got run over.”

“I’ve had a lot of cards, messages and stuff. That’s great and I am looking forward to going to Mugello to see everyone, it’s just a shame I can’t race,” added Stafford whose family had already planned a trip to the Italian round on 30th May together.

“I can’t ride for eight weeks I think but we’ll see Dr Costa in Mugello,” Stafford continued. “He told the Spanish doctors not to operate on my collarbone because it would heal on its own before I needed to go racing again. As my head is feeling better the collarbone is hurting more.”

Stafford’s accident has interrupted a great start to the season, a huge step forward from his 2008 form. “I didn’t ride in the winter but when we took my Honda to Cartagena for an early test before I got on the Rookies bike again I was right on the pace. Then when we started the Rookies tests I didn’t feel I was riding the KTM any different to the way I did last year, I didn’t feel I was going faster but I was.”

The young rider is not the only one to glad to be back home; his father Roy had stayed with him all week at the hospital in Cadiz. “It was so great to be back in my own bed on Saturday night after sleeping in a chair at the hospital for a week. We’d hoped to be home a bit earlier but they wanted to keep him for another scan just to be sure and when that was OK we flew back. The insurance paid for business class all the way so it was a nice bit of luxury for a change, VIP lounge and chauffeured back to the house here!”

“Harry said to me after watching the crash video, ‘that wasn’t much of a crash dad, if I hadn’t been run over I’d have been back on the bike and in the race again’. But that’s racing unfortunately. It has been great to have all the good wishes and support. We are all looking forward to seeing everybody again in Mugello,” concluded Stafford Snr.

MotoGP, 2009

Other updates you may be interested in ›