Luthi prepares to tackle ‘home from home’Moto2™ is powered by
The MotoGP World Championship visits a total of fourteen countries over the course of the season, but with the wide variety of nationalities present on the grid, not everyone gets the chance to ride at their home track.
For this reason some riders have to make do with events close to home. Gabor Talmacsi, for example, brings huge crowds over from Hungary to the Czech Republic at Brno every year. For 250cc star Thomas Luthi, the Alice Motorrad Grand Prix Deutschland is one such race.
“Every weekend is important for me. Sachsenring is special for me; it’s not my home race, but Germany is close to Switzerland, the language is the same and I’ve got a lot of fans that come to watch me here,” says the former 125cc World Champion and Swiss sportsman of the year, who cut his teeth in the German national series due to a lack of motorcycle racing in his homeland.
A long association with Sachsenring stretches back to the 22 year-old’s World Championship debut at the track in 2002, although it hasn’t brought Luthi his best results. Second place in 2005 is his best finish at the track, which is a bit different to the style of circuit that he normally favours.
“I prefer fast corners that I can go into with full throttle, but Sachsenring is more of a mix between this and more technical corners. You’ve got to set the bike up very well for the race,” he explained on Thursday in Germany, before coyly addressing questions over his prospects for 2010.
“My dream has always been to enter MotoGP, but next year is not certain yet. There is also the Moto2 class coming in next year, but at the moment I have to focus on the current season.”
- Wednesday, 12 March 2014
- Bridgestone expecting rapid Qatar race pace
- Monday, 10 March 2014
- Espargaro undergoes successful collarbone surgery
- Ducati Team 2014 project presented at Munich’s Audi Forum
- Marquez: "Defending the title is a new challenge for me"
- Barbera and Di Meglio taking practical approach
- Important test for Petrucci ahead of round one
- Laverty: ‘We can be stronger this season’
- Iannone and Hernandez reflect on testing progress
- Abraham optimistic after improvements at Qatar
- New DRIVE M7 Aspar Team line up complete winter testing
- Wednesday, 5 March 2014
- Mariñelarena out of induced coma
- Caterham welcome AirAsia onboard for Moto2™ debut season
- Friday, 28 February 2014
- Mariñelarena suffers injury during a private test
- Friday, 21 February 2014
- Dunlop to evaluate new tyre options in Australia
- Thursday, 20 February 2014
- Kallio jumps ahead to top Jerez test
- Tuesday, 11 March 2014
- Fenati a tenth ahead on opening day at Jerez
- Thursday, 6 March 2014
- Racing Team Germany aiming high
- Thursday, 27 February 2014
- Sky Racing Team by VR46 presentation takes place in Milan
- Thursday, 20 February 2014
- More rapid pace for record-beating Miller
- Wednesday, 19 February 2014
- Miller blisteringly fast as Hanika impresses
- Monday, 17 February 2014
- Alex Rins undergoes surgery on right wrist
- Thursday, 13 February 2014
- Miller on top as Antonelli crashes in Spain
- Wednesday, 12 February 2014
- Antonelli remains on top in Valencia
- Tuesday, 11 February 2014
- Antonelli sets pace on first day of testing