Espargaró to start from 10th on Aspar CRT machine
Aleix Espargaró will line up as the top CRT after qualifying in a season-best tenth place thanks to a pair of sensational late laps that saw him outpace no fewer than three factory MotoGP prototypes. Randy de Puniet also set a furious pace throughout the session and the Frenchman was only denied the opportunity to fight with his teammate for top CRT honours by a gearbox problem in the final moments. Randy was 14th fastest but will start from 13th, with Alvaro Bautista to be relegated to the back of the grid according to a penalty incurred at the last race.
"I am really happy because even though I don't really like riding in the wet we have managed an excellent result today. We have had to get used to rain conditions this season and today we were able to use that experience, which is probably even more pleasing than being the top CRT. We found a good setting for the electronics and I was able to push really hard over the last two laps. The bike had a lot of grip in the uphill sections and was hardly losing any power so that was a big help. Obviously I would prefer a dry race tomorrow but it is good to know that we are prepared for the rain too. We are well placed on the grid with only a two-second gap to pole so we're ready to fight for a good result."
Randy de Puniet
"I had a really good feeling throughout the session and spent most of it around tenth place. After 35 minutes we took a break and waited until the closing stages to mount another attack and after changing to fresh tyres my feeling and lap times improved to the end, which was the most positive thing about the session. I had a problem with the gearbox in the final minutes though and that cost us valuable time and the opportunity to set one last flying lap, which is a shame because I think we still had around a second in us. Anyway I am happy because our potential is high in any condition."
Press release courtesy of Power Electronics Aspar.
- Friday, 14 March 2014
- A family affair in the premier class
- Wednesday, 12 March 2014
- Bridgestone expecting rapid Qatar race pace
- Monday, 10 March 2014
- Espargaro undergoes successful collarbone surgery
- Ducati Team 2014 project presented at Munich’s Audi Forum
- Marquez: "Defending the title is a new challenge for me"
- Barbera and Di Meglio taking practical approach
- Important test for Petrucci ahead of round one
- Laverty: ‘We can be stronger this season’
- Iannone and Hernandez reflect on testing progress
- Abraham optimistic after improvements at Qatar
- New DRIVE M7 Aspar Team line up complete winter testing
- Wednesday, 5 March 2014
- Mariñelarena out of induced coma
- Caterham welcome AirAsia onboard for Moto2™ debut season
- Friday, 28 February 2014
- Mariñelarena suffers injury during a private test
- Tuesday, 11 March 2014
- Fenati a tenth ahead on opening day at Jerez
- Thursday, 6 March 2014
- Racing Team Germany aiming high
- Thursday, 27 February 2014
- Sky Racing Team by VR46 presentation takes place in Milan
- Thursday, 20 February 2014
- More rapid pace for record-beating Miller
- Wednesday, 19 February 2014
- Miller blisteringly fast as Hanika impresses
- Monday, 17 February 2014
- Alex Rins undergoes surgery on right wrist
- Thursday, 13 February 2014
- Miller on top as Antonelli crashes in Spain