Lorenzo and Rossi braced for tough weekend
Circuit of the Americas becomes the third American venue on the calendar, with Laguna Seca and Indianapolis set to host their respective races in July and August. With 17 of the 18 Grands Prix still to run, Lorenzo carries a five-point championship lead over his Yamaha Factory Racing teammate.
"Qatar was stunning for us," the current title holder states. "A great start to a really competitive season. It’s always crucial to have a good start, but Losail was just the first race of a long season. Now we have to change our mindset; we go to the USA and we visit a completely different track - not just the layout but also for the asphalt, the climate and some different circumstances.
"The Austin track has a very long straight and several corners in first gear where you need good acceleration and traction. We will have to work really hard from the first session to cut away the distance to our competitors. Anyway, I keep my confidence that we can also have a good result there. I want to win at Austin and that’s my mentality, although I know it will be much more complicated."
Lorenzo’s comments refer to last month’s three-day test at the track, in which Repsol Honda Team and Marc Márquez led the way. Rossi echoes his teammate’s sentiments, confessing that climbing to the top of the rostrum will be difficult.
"Austin will not be an easy race, but for sure, the podium in Qatar is giving us extra motivation," the Italian begins. "We did a great job there and we can go to Austin with some more certainty. Our competitors will be very strong but our goal will be to bring home points. I am confident, I really like the track and my first impression – from when we tested there - was that the circuit is beautiful."
Sunday’s race will consist of 21 laps and begin at 2pm local time (GMT -5).
- Friday, 14 March 2014
- A family affair in the premier class
- Wednesday, 12 March 2014
- Bridgestone expecting rapid Qatar race pace
- Monday, 10 March 2014
- Espargaro undergoes successful collarbone surgery
- Ducati Team 2014 project presented at Munich’s Audi Forum
- Marquez: "Defending the title is a new challenge for me"
- Barbera and Di Meglio taking practical approach
- Important test for Petrucci ahead of round one
- Laverty: ‘We can be stronger this season’
- Iannone and Hernandez reflect on testing progress
- Abraham optimistic after improvements at Qatar
- New DRIVE M7 Aspar Team line up complete winter testing
- Wednesday, 5 March 2014
- Mariñelarena out of induced coma
- Caterham welcome AirAsia onboard for Moto2™ debut season
- Friday, 28 February 2014
- Mariñelarena suffers injury during a private test
- Tuesday, 11 March 2014
- Fenati a tenth ahead on opening day at Jerez
- Thursday, 6 March 2014
- Racing Team Germany aiming high
- Thursday, 27 February 2014
- Sky Racing Team by VR46 presentation takes place in Milan
- Thursday, 20 February 2014
- More rapid pace for record-beating Miller
- Wednesday, 19 February 2014
- Miller blisteringly fast as Hanika impresses
- Monday, 17 February 2014
- Alex Rins undergoes surgery on right wrist
- Thursday, 13 February 2014
- Miller on top as Antonelli crashes in Spain