Lorenzo: 'An honour to share garage with Rossi'
Following the conclusion of the 2013 MotoGP™ World Championship and before starting his winter holidays, this year’s premier class runner-up has been busy with various sponsor commitments.
Lorenzo’s latest round of off-track work will take him to Indonesia before the weekend as he flies to Asia to help promote the Yamaha brand.
Before his departure, in an exclusive interview with motogp.com, Lorenzo reviewed several topics, including the future of his Yamaha Factory Racing colleague Valentino Rossi.
'The Doctor' this week reiterated his intention to consider his future in the World Championship during the 2014 campaign depending on results, of which Lorenzo commented:
“I think it's great that Valentino has been riding for many years. He is a rider who brings a lot to the sport, people come to see him and he has a lot of fans. He’s a fun person and is a great all-round rider, very competitive, one of the best of all time. For me it’s an honour to share the garage with him and I hope he will continue for many more years.”
Lorenzo believes Rossi will be a title candidate next year, but when asked if he himself will match the longevity of his Italian colleague at the top level, the Spaniard answered:
“I do not think too much beyond the next season, I usually look at two-year time periods in the sport, as that is usually how long our contracts are. Then at the right time you see what is happening, if your level drops, stays the same or goes up and if the team wants you as much.
“Personally I’m doing well. I'm having fun doing what I do, which is my passion and that makes me feel very lucky. It is quite demanding physically and mentally and sometimes you feel a bit tired, but for now I still holding up well all season and looking forward to the next. Will I continue until the age of 34? I don’t know, for now I'm only focused on next season.”
At Tuesday’s event organised by sponsor Hot Wheels, Lorenzo was quizzed by a crowd of inquisitive children in an informal press conference, before meeting a lucky few for photos.
“I had to be careful!” joked the 2010 and 2012 MotoGP™ title winner. “Some of the questions were a bit tricky, but I tried to answer them all.”
Amongst the revelations to the young audience, Lorenzo admitted that finishing a race and winning was what he enjoys most about competition and that Michael Jordan was his childhood idol.
He also admitted that he has on rare occasions been scared whilst riding and that depending on the results of his races he either enjoys watching them back on video - when he has won - or does not watch them at all, when things have not gone his way.
- Wednesday, 12 March 2014
- Bridgestone expecting rapid Qatar race pace
- Monday, 10 March 2014
- Espargaro undergoes successful collarbone surgery
- Ducati Team 2014 project presented at Munich’s Audi Forum
- Marquez: "Defending the title is a new challenge for me"
- Barbera and Di Meglio taking practical approach
- Important test for Petrucci ahead of round one
- Laverty: ‘We can be stronger this season’
- Iannone and Hernandez reflect on testing progress
- Abraham optimistic after improvements at Qatar
- New DRIVE M7 Aspar Team line up complete winter testing
- Thursday, 13 March 2014
- Nakagami faster still as Moto2™ testing ends
- Wednesday, 5 March 2014
- Mariñelarena out of induced coma
- Caterham welcome AirAsia onboard for Moto2™ debut season
- Friday, 28 February 2014
- Mariñelarena suffers injury during a private test
- Friday, 21 February 2014
- Dunlop to evaluate new tyre options in Australia
- Tuesday, 11 March 2014
- Fenati a tenth ahead on opening day at Jerez
- Thursday, 6 March 2014
- Racing Team Germany aiming high
- Thursday, 27 February 2014
- Sky Racing Team by VR46 presentation takes place in Milan
- Thursday, 20 February 2014
- More rapid pace for record-beating Miller
- Wednesday, 19 February 2014
- Miller blisteringly fast as Hanika impresses
- Monday, 17 February 2014
- Alex Rins undergoes surgery on right wrist
- Thursday, 13 February 2014
- Miller on top as Antonelli crashes in Spain
- Wednesday, 12 February 2014
- Antonelli remains on top in Valencia
- Tuesday, 11 February 2014
- Antonelli sets pace on first day of testing