The work continues for Marquez and Pedrosa
It was a productive day for the Spanish riders, who had a busy test programme. Honda Racing Corporation brought the next evolution of the 2014 bike to test, complete with new Magneti Marelli hardware. Both Marquez and Pedrosa reported positive feedback on its development but agreed there were still areas to improve. The HRC engineers will now return to Japan with the data collected in order to complete the final stages of the 2014 project in time for the Valencia test.
The riders also tested a new swingarm and some other small parts on the current 2013 RC213V machine to assist them in the final five races and their battle for the championship.
Marquez, who had a small crash at Turn 12 whilst trying a new geometry on his current bike, set the fastest time of the day on the new 2014 machine, with 1'33.264 on lap 70 of 71, just three tenths off his record pole time from Saturday of 1'32.915. Dani was sixth fastest for the day with 1'33.892, recorded on lap 57 of 74 on his current 2013 machine.
"The day went well and we tried out a lot of things with the setup - above all the geometry - and we made considerable improvements. We've also gathered some useful data, so this test has been very useful ahead of the five remaining races. We also rode next year's prototype, which I feel fairly comfortable with already. We've worked well and the important thing is that we have a good foundation"
"We've tried out a lot of things today, with a view to solving the rear grip issue that we've been having. Generally speaking, that was the focus for today and some things we experimented with worked well - and others not so well. As for the new bike, I only put in three or four laps with it and we still need to make various changes for the next time we ride with it, after Valencia. Making adjustments to the new machine wasn't our main objective today"
Press release courtesy of Repsol Honda Team
- Friday, 14 March 2014
- A family affair in the premier class
- Wednesday, 12 March 2014
- Bridgestone expecting rapid Qatar race pace
- Monday, 10 March 2014
- Espargaro undergoes successful collarbone surgery
- Ducati Team 2014 project presented at Munich’s Audi Forum
- Marquez: "Defending the title is a new challenge for me"
- Barbera and Di Meglio taking practical approach
- Important test for Petrucci ahead of round one
- Laverty: ‘We can be stronger this season’
- Iannone and Hernandez reflect on testing progress
- Abraham optimistic after improvements at Qatar
- New DRIVE M7 Aspar Team line up complete winter testing
- Saturday, 15 March 2014
- Mapfre Aspar team unveils its line-up
- Wednesday, 5 March 2014
- Mariñelarena out of induced coma
- Caterham welcome AirAsia onboard for Moto2™ debut season
- Tuesday, 11 March 2014
- Fenati a tenth ahead on opening day at Jerez
- Thursday, 6 March 2014
- Racing Team Germany aiming high
- Thursday, 27 February 2014
- Sky Racing Team by VR46 presentation takes place in Milan
- Thursday, 20 February 2014
- More rapid pace for record-beating Miller
- Wednesday, 19 February 2014
- Miller blisteringly fast as Hanika impresses
- Monday, 17 February 2014
- Alex Rins undergoes surgery on right wrist
- Thursday, 13 February 2014
- Miller on top as Antonelli crashes in Spain