Red Bull MotoGP Rookies Cup: Home heroes star at Misano
Cup leader Karel Hanika will start from fifth after sliding off early in the session, but the 17-year-old Czech is well ahead of his lone points rival Jorge Martín after the 15-year-old Spaniard could only manage eighth. It was another two Spaniards, 15-year-old Marcos Ramirez and 16-year-old Joan Mir, who qualified third and fourth and with the top 11 covered by less than a second another super-close Rookies Cup race is all but guaranteed.
Bastianini to win
To accuse the Italians of a home track advantage is rather unkind, as Bastianini explained. "I've just done two races here, one on a Moto3 and one on a 125," said the Jerez Race 2 winner who has a simple plan for the coming race; of course this is my first year in Rookies Cup and I am so happy to have my first pole. We sorted the bike out early today and now it really is perfect, so much fun to ride. I'm going to win."
Pagliani, also in his first Cup season, might have been annoyed at missing out by so little especially as he was fastest in both free sessions while Bastianini was fourth in each, but that isn't him. "That's okay, there is still the race," he says with a shrug and his usual deadpan expression. "The bike is pretty good but not perfect, a little trouble with the front, I am not sure if we should change anything though because it is not too bad."
Changes needed – Ramirez
Ramirez, fresh from two third places at Silverstone, is likely to have made changes before he joins them on the front row on Saturday afternoon. "When I am braking the rear is way off the ground so I would like to do something about that before the race," he explains. "The rest is not bad and I am certainly enjoying the track much more than last year when I hated the rain. I think it should be a great race.
Hanika lost the chance to leave Silverstone as the Cup holder when Diego Perez almost crashed beside him on the final lap and the pair collided, leaving Hanika on the floor while the 15 year-old-Spaniard finished seventh. Qualifying saw Hanika in the dirt again but this was all his fault, as he slid off on Lap 4 while looking a good bet for pole: "The front just folded as I flicked it left into the second corner, it is a bit bumpy there, my mistake."
The mechanics did a fantastic job of repairing the bike after it was returned to the pit lane. With less than six minutes remaining, he was off again but did not improve. "The bike wasn't perfect and neither was I," he said simply. "I think we are both good enough to win the race though."
Martín, who trails by 72 points with 75 on offer from the remaining three races, has to string the victories together and is not optimistic. "I am just not happy with the bike, the front isn't working right and we haven't been able to sort it out today," he begins to sum up. "It is my first time here, as I missed last year's race with the broken collarbone and I am struggling."
A sole Red Bull MotoGP Rookies Cup race will be staged at Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli this weekend, taking place after World Championship qualifying on Saturday.
- Friday, 14 March 2014
- A family affair in the premier class
- Wednesday, 12 March 2014
- Bridgestone expecting rapid Qatar race pace
- Monday, 10 March 2014
- Espargaro undergoes successful collarbone surgery
- Ducati Team 2014 project presented at Munich’s Audi Forum
- Marquez: "Defending the title is a new challenge for me"
- Barbera and Di Meglio taking practical approach
- Important test for Petrucci ahead of round one
- Laverty: ‘We can be stronger this season’
- Iannone and Hernandez reflect on testing progress
- Abraham optimistic after improvements at Qatar
- New DRIVE M7 Aspar Team line up complete winter testing
- Wednesday, 5 March 2014
- Mariñelarena out of induced coma
- Caterham welcome AirAsia onboard for Moto2™ debut season
- Friday, 28 February 2014
- Mariñelarena suffers injury during a private test
- Tuesday, 11 March 2014
- Fenati a tenth ahead on opening day at Jerez
- Thursday, 6 March 2014
- Racing Team Germany aiming high
- Thursday, 27 February 2014
- Sky Racing Team by VR46 presentation takes place in Milan
- Thursday, 20 February 2014
- More rapid pace for record-beating Miller
- Wednesday, 19 February 2014
- Miller blisteringly fast as Hanika impresses
- Monday, 17 February 2014
- Alex Rins undergoes surgery on right wrist
- Thursday, 13 February 2014
- Miller on top as Antonelli crashes in Spain