Folger grabs pole position at Misano
Germany’s Jonas Folger will start the Moto3™ GP Aperol di San Marino e Riviera di Rimini from pole position, his second of the 2013 season. The Mapfre Aspar Team Moto3 rider will be joined on the front row by Estrella Galicia 0,0’s Alex Rins and Team Calvo’s Maverick Viñales, with championship leader Luis Salom tenth.
As is so often the case in qualifying, a flurry of rapid lap times shook up the order and provided a dramatic climax to proceedings at Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli. Folger was rapid throughout, however, claiming pole number two of the year (and his second in Italy) with a leading effort of 1’42.707. This saw off Rins’ own best by less than one tenth of a second, while title contender Viñales cemented yet another front row slot. Critically, rival Salom (Red Bull KTM Ajo, who suffered an accident on Friday) could manage no more than tenth place, 1.2 seconds off the top spot, and will aim to avoid trouble on the opening lap of Sunday’s race.
The second row positions will be occupied by a number of standout performers, as Ajo’s Zulfahmi Khairuddin and GO&FUN Gresini Moto3’s Niccolo Antonelli achieved fourth and fifth positions ahead of Mahindra Racing’s Miguel Oliveira. Row 3 is likely to be an equally happy place, as Eric Granado and Isaac Viñales delivered impressive performances to qualify seventh and eight for their respective Aspar and Ongetta-Centro Seta outfits. Rins’ teammate Alex Marquez will start ninth, having crashed early on in qualifying as Khairuddin had already done.
21st was a respectable result for Avant Tecno's Niklas Ajo, as the Finn had returned from a CT scan in hospital following a heavy crash in morning practice. Further back, wildcard Luca Marini (Twelve Racing and half-brother of nine-time World Champion Valentino Rossi) will start his first ever World Championship Grand Prix from 29th on the grid. Sunday’s race starts at 11am local time (GMT +2).
- Friday, 14 March 2014
- A family affair in the premier class
- Wednesday, 12 March 2014
- Bridgestone expecting rapid Qatar race pace
- Monday, 10 March 2014
- Espargaro undergoes successful collarbone surgery
- Ducati Team 2014 project presented at Munich’s Audi Forum
- Marquez: "Defending the title is a new challenge for me"
- Barbera and Di Meglio taking practical approach
- Important test for Petrucci ahead of round one
- Laverty: ‘We can be stronger this season’
- Iannone and Hernandez reflect on testing progress
- Abraham optimistic after improvements at Qatar
- New DRIVE M7 Aspar Team line up complete winter testing
- Wednesday, 5 March 2014
- Mariñelarena out of induced coma
- Caterham welcome AirAsia onboard for Moto2™ debut season
- Friday, 28 February 2014
- Mariñelarena suffers injury during a private test
- Tuesday, 11 March 2014
- Fenati a tenth ahead on opening day at Jerez
- Thursday, 6 March 2014
- Racing Team Germany aiming high
- Thursday, 27 February 2014
- Sky Racing Team by VR46 presentation takes place in Milan
- Thursday, 20 February 2014
- More rapid pace for record-beating Miller
- Wednesday, 19 February 2014
- Miller blisteringly fast as Hanika impresses
- Monday, 17 February 2014
- Alex Rins undergoes surgery on right wrist
- Thursday, 13 February 2014
- Miller on top as Antonelli crashes in Spain