FP3 pace set by determined Marquez
Marquez improved his pace towards the end of the session with his best lap of 1’41.853 giving him P1 by a 0.063s margin from Hayden. American former World Champion Hayden beat the Catalunya top speed record on the Desmosedici GP13 during the session with an incredible 341.4 km/h charge.
Championship leader Pedrosa was just a tenth off Marquez’ best time and headed the timesheet for much of the session. Friday’s fastest rider Valentino Rossi was fourth best with a similar time to Pedrosa’s, with Monster Yamaha Tech 3’s Cal Crutchlow fifth.
Rossi’s World Champion teammate in the Yamaha Factory Racing outfit Jorge Lorenzo ended up sixth, using bike two for most of the practice following an early crash at turn 5.
The free practice top ten was completed by LCR Honda’s Stefan Bradl, Ducati’s Andrea Dovizioso, GO&FUN Honda Gresini’s Alvaro Bautista and the ever impressive Aleix Espargaro - who again makes Q2 for the Power Electronics Aspar team.
Missing out on top ten spots in the combined free practice timesheets are the likes of Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Bradley Smith and Energy T.I. Pramac Racing’s Andrea Iannone who therefore participate in Q1 and will attempt to make Q2.
A crash at the end of the session for Avintia Blusens rider Hiroshi Aoyama saw him taken to the Medical Centre for examinations of a left hand injury, after he also hurt his left thumb at Mugello.
Q1 for the MotoGP™ class at the Circuit de Catalunya takes place after FP4 from 2.10pm to 2.25pm local time this afternoon, with Q2 taking place at 2.35pm.
- Friday, 14 March 2014
- A family affair in the premier class
- Wednesday, 12 March 2014
- Bridgestone expecting rapid Qatar race pace
- Monday, 10 March 2014
- Espargaro undergoes successful collarbone surgery
- Ducati Team 2014 project presented at Munich’s Audi Forum
- Marquez: "Defending the title is a new challenge for me"
- Barbera and Di Meglio taking practical approach
- Important test for Petrucci ahead of round one
- Laverty: ‘We can be stronger this season’
- Iannone and Hernandez reflect on testing progress
- Abraham optimistic after improvements at Qatar
- New DRIVE M7 Aspar Team line up complete winter testing
- Wednesday, 5 March 2014
- Mariñelarena out of induced coma
- Caterham welcome AirAsia onboard for Moto2™ debut season
- Friday, 28 February 2014
- Mariñelarena suffers injury during a private test
- Tuesday, 11 March 2014
- Fenati a tenth ahead on opening day at Jerez
- Thursday, 6 March 2014
- Racing Team Germany aiming high
- Thursday, 27 February 2014
- Sky Racing Team by VR46 presentation takes place in Milan
- Thursday, 20 February 2014
- More rapid pace for record-beating Miller
- Wednesday, 19 February 2014
- Miller blisteringly fast as Hanika impresses
- Monday, 17 February 2014
- Alex Rins undergoes surgery on right wrist
- Thursday, 13 February 2014
- Miller on top as Antonelli crashes in Spain