Pedrosa begins Malaysian weekend on top
Dani Pedrosa set the pace as Friday morning marked opening practice for the Shell Advance Malaysian Motorcycle GP. Having suffered a crash last time out in Aragón, the 2012 Sepang winner topped the timesheets from Marc Marquez and Jorge Lorenzo as the championship battle intensifies at the start of the ‘flyaway’ triple-header.
It was a somewhat overcast morning at Sepang, but no rain would fall across the opening practice period. Pedrosa led the way with a 2’01.229 lap time, as he intends to leave the venue on Sunday still with a mathematic possibility of clinching the 2013 title. Repsol Honda Team partner Marquez was three and a half tenths of a second slower, with Lorenzo completing the top three as he and Yamaha Factory Racing teammate Valentino Rossi sandwiched GO&FUN Honda Gresini’s Alvaro Bautista into fourth place.
There was a focusing moment for Ducati Team’s Andrea Dovizioso, who ran off-track at Turn 12 in the closing stages of an otherwise calm session, while the lead CRT runner was NGM Mobile Forward Racing’s Colin Edwards in 11th position. Malaysia is the first of three MotoGP™ events on as many weekends, ahead of those of Australia and Japan.
Second Sepang practice will commence at 2:05pm local time (GMT +8).
- Wednesday, 12 March 2014
- Bridgestone expecting rapid Qatar race pace
- Monday, 10 March 2014
- Espargaro undergoes successful collarbone surgery
- Ducati Team 2014 project presented at Munich’s Audi Forum
- Marquez: "Defending the title is a new challenge for me"
- Barbera and Di Meglio taking practical approach
- Important test for Petrucci ahead of round one
- Laverty: ‘We can be stronger this season’
- Iannone and Hernandez reflect on testing progress
- Abraham optimistic after improvements at Qatar
- New DRIVE M7 Aspar Team line up complete winter testing
- Wednesday, 5 March 2014
- Mariñelarena out of induced coma
- Caterham welcome AirAsia onboard for Moto2™ debut season
- Friday, 28 February 2014
- Mariñelarena suffers injury during a private test
- Tuesday, 11 March 2014
- Fenati a tenth ahead on opening day at Jerez
- Thursday, 6 March 2014
- Racing Team Germany aiming high
- Thursday, 27 February 2014
- Sky Racing Team by VR46 presentation takes place in Milan
- Thursday, 20 February 2014
- More rapid pace for record-beating Miller
- Wednesday, 19 February 2014
- Miller blisteringly fast as Hanika impresses
- Monday, 17 February 2014
- Alex Rins undergoes surgery on right wrist
- Thursday, 13 February 2014
- Miller on top as Antonelli crashes in Spain