Racing Numbers: Gran Premi Aperol de Catalunya
64 – Jorge Lorenzo’s win at Mugello was the 64th time he has stood on the podium in the MotoGP class; the same number of premier class podiums achieved by Wayne Rainey during his Grand Prix career. Only six riders have had more podium finishes in the premier class: Valentino Rossi (142 podiums), Mick Doohan (95), Giacomo Agostini (88), Eddie Lawson (78), Dani Pedrosa (75) and Casey Stoner (69).
52 years – On race day in Catalunya it will be exactly 52 years ago that Mike Hailwood won the 1961 Senior TT in the Isle of Man riding a Norton, becoming the youngest rider at that time to win a 500 GP race counting towards the World Championship. Hailwood’s victory in the 500 class followed wins earlier in the week in the 125 and 250 classes, making him the first rider to win three GP classes at one event.
39.802 seconds – Aleix Espargaro was the first CRT rider across the line in Mugello, just 39.802 seconds behind race winner Jorge Lorenzo. This is the smallest time gap to the race winner that a CRT rider has achieved, representing an average lap time difference throughout the race of just 1.73 seconds.
25 – All of Jorge Lorenzo’s wins in the MotoGP class have been when riding for Yamaha. Only two riders have more wins in the premier class onboard Yamaha manufactured motorcycles: Eddie Lawson (26) and Valentino Rossi (46).
23 – Jorge Lorenzo and Dani Pedrosa have finished first and second together in the MotoGP class on 23 occasions. On 12 of those occasions Pedrosa has won the race, whereas Lorenzo has come out on top 11 times.
22 – Pol Espargaro celebrated his 22nd birthday on the Monday before the Grand Prix of Catalunya.
18 – Australian Moto3 rider Arthur Sissis will celebrate 18th birthday on the day of qualifying at the Catalunya Grand Prix.
11 years – On race day in Catalunya it will be exactly 11 years since Jorge Lorenzo finished 14th in the 125 GP at the Catalan GP in 2002, thus becoming the youngest ever rider to score GP points at that time. Since then only two riders have scored points at a younger age: Pol Espargaro and Jonas Folger.
10 years – On qualifying day at the Circuit de Catalunya, it will be exactly ten years since Loris Capirossi gave Ducati their first win in the MotoGP class at the 2003 Catalan Grand Prix.
0.819 seconds – Just 0.819 seconds covered the first five riders across the line in the Moto3 race at Mugello; this is the smallest time margin to have covered the top five riders in the lightweight class and in a full length race since the Italian GP in 2008.
- Wednesday, 12 March 2014
- Bridgestone expecting rapid Qatar race pace
- Monday, 10 March 2014
- Espargaro undergoes successful collarbone surgery
- Ducati Team 2014 project presented at Munich’s Audi Forum
- Marquez: "Defending the title is a new challenge for me"
- Barbera and Di Meglio taking practical approach
- Important test for Petrucci ahead of round one
- Laverty: ‘We can be stronger this season’
- Iannone and Hernandez reflect on testing progress
- Abraham optimistic after improvements at Qatar
- New DRIVE M7 Aspar Team line up complete winter testing
- Wednesday, 5 March 2014
- Mariñelarena out of induced coma
- Caterham welcome AirAsia onboard for Moto2™ debut season
- Friday, 28 February 2014
- Mariñelarena suffers injury during a private test
- Friday, 21 February 2014
- Dunlop to evaluate new tyre options in Australia
- Thursday, 20 February 2014
- Kallio jumps ahead to top Jerez test
- Tuesday, 11 March 2014
- Fenati a tenth ahead on opening day at Jerez
- Thursday, 6 March 2014
- Racing Team Germany aiming high
- Thursday, 27 February 2014
- Sky Racing Team by VR46 presentation takes place in Milan
- Thursday, 20 February 2014
- More rapid pace for record-beating Miller
- Wednesday, 19 February 2014
- Miller blisteringly fast as Hanika impresses
- Monday, 17 February 2014
- Alex Rins undergoes surgery on right wrist
- Thursday, 13 February 2014
- Miller on top as Antonelli crashes in Spain
- Wednesday, 12 February 2014
- Antonelli remains on top in Valencia
- Tuesday, 11 February 2014
- Antonelli sets pace on first day of testing