New to motogp.com?Register here
Mapfre Team Mahindra riders gained little valuable track time as the new season edges closer, with rain hampering the Jerez test.
The second day in Jerez was spoiled by bad weather and after overnight showers had left a damp track in the morning, the heavens opened again at around 1pm making for fully wet conditions throughout the afternoon. MAPFRE Team Mahindra made use of the day to run in new engines for each of its three riders, with Juanfran Guevara, Jorge Martín and Pecco Bagnaia all completing a handful of laps. Only Bagnaia chose to ride in the rain, however, with Guevara and Martín happy with their wet settings.
“The track was still damp in the first session but we decided to ride anyway to try the new engine and get a feel for how it works. We didn't test anything else in particular, I just tried to get a feel for the track. We were able to work with slick tyres in the second session and managed to complete several useful laps. Then it started to rain again and since we had achieved our objective for the day we decided not to ride in the wet conditions.”
“Today was another strange day thanks to the track conditions. We weren't able to ride much in the first session, the second session was a write-off because my mechanics had to change our engine and then in the afternoon we completed a handful of laps in the wet just to run the engine in before we go to Qatar. Once again we have been limited by the rain here and haven't been able to test anything, other than putting a few kilometres on the new engine.”
“We didn't go out in the first session this morning because the track was damp and the conditions were a little precarious. We made use of the second session to try one of the new engines that we will be using in Qatar. We wanted to put some kilometres on it to see how it worked and check for any irregularities. We only did around ten laps before it started to rain, at which point we stopped because we didn't want to take any risks, we already have a lot of data for the wet setting. We will probably try something tomorrow if it rains again though.”