New to motogp.com?Register here
- None of the riders currently competing full-time in the Moto3™ class have won a grand prix race at the Sepang circuit.
- Newly crowned world champion Brad Binder (Red Bull KTM Ajo) set a new lap record on his way to finishing second last year in Malaysia – his best result of the 2015 season.
- Jorge Navarro (Estrella Galicia 0,0) finished third last year in Malaysia after leading the race at the start of the final lap.
- Niccolo Antonelli (Ongetta-Rivacold), who finished fourth last year in Malaysia, has not had a podium finish since winning the opening race of the year in Qatar.
- The three riders in contention for the rookie of the year award in Moto3™ are separated by just seven points: Nicolo Bulega (Sky Racing Team VR46), Joan Mir (Leopard Racing) and Fabio di Giannantonio (Gresini Racing Moto3). None of these three riders managed to pick up any points in Australia.
- Darryn Binder (Platinum Bay Real Estate) finished 4th at the Australian GP – the best result so far in his grand prix career. This is the first time ever that South Africa have had two riders finish in the top four in a lightweight-class grand prix race.
- In addition to Darryn Binder, several other riders had their best result of 2016 at the Australian GP: Aron Canet (Estrella Galicia 0,0) finished on the podium for the first time in his rookie grand prix season, as well as top results for Livio Loi in 5th place, and Marcos Ramirez (Platinum Bay Real Estate) - who scored his first grand prix points in 7th place.
4 years ago