New to motogp.com?Register here
Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) began his Gran Premio Motul de la República Argentina in fine fashion after he topped the timesheets in MotoGP™ FP1, the only rider to dip into the 1:39s with a 1:39.827, 0.353 ahead of second place Jack Miller (Pramac Racing).
MotoGP™ FP1 in Argentina: Round 2 is GO!
The sun was shining in Argentina as the premier class riders took to the Termas de Rio Hondo circuit for the first time this weekend, but Marquez’ day didn’t start so smoothly – the seven-time Champion having difficulty getting his Honda machine started.
However, once the number 93 got going, it wasn’t long before he was setting the pace. Marquez sat at the top of the times throughout and eventually finished the session with a personal best lap – a 1:39.827.
Miller was his closest challenger, with last season’s winner Cal Crutchlow (LCR Honda Castrol) 0.388 off in third. After putting in a soft - soft tyre combination at the end, Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha SRT) jumped up to P4 with a 1:40.319, with Aprilia Racing Team Gresini’s Andrea Iannone getting his weekend off to a great start in P5 – 0.539 splitting the top five.
Joan Mir (Team Suzuki Ecstar) and Danilo Petrucci (Mission Winnow Ducati) both crashed at Turn 1, riders ok.
MotoGP™ FP2 comes your way at 15:05 local time (GMT-3), tune in!
Top ten FP1:
1. Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) 1:39. 827
2. Jack Miller (Pramac Racing) + 0.353
3. Cal Crutchlow (LCR Honda Castrol) + 0.388
4. Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha SRT) + 0.492
5. Andrea Iannone (Aprilia Racing Team Gresini) + 0.539
6. Johann Zarco (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) + 0.560
7. Andrea Dovizioso (Mission Winnow Ducati) + 0.768
8. Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha SRT) + 0.849
9. Alex Rins (Team Suzuki Ecstar) + 0.994
10. Valentino Rossi (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) + 1.000
Click here for the full results!
1 year ago