New to motogp.com?Register here
After earning his first Moto2™ podium last time out in Austin, Jorge Navarro (HDR Heidrun Speed Up) began the Gran Premio Red Bull de España just the way he would have dreamt it: topping FP1 with a 1:41.819 to head Brad Binder (Red Bull KTM Ajo) by 0.019.
Conditions were perfect for the intermediate class to thrash their Triumph powered machines around the Circuito de Jerez – Angel Nieto, and by the end of the session there were 21 riders within a second of each other. Navarro led the way from Binder, with reigning Moto3™ World Champion Jorge Martin (Red Bull KTM Ajo) third fastest as the KTM chassis bikes look to have found something in Spain.
0.116 split the top three, with Austin winner Tom Lüthi (Dynavolt Intact GP) fourth on the timesheets with a 1:41.958. Remy Gardner (ONEXOX TKKR SAG Team) pipped Alex Marquez (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) to fifth – 0.002 the gap between the duo.
It was a disastrous start to the Spanish GP for Championship leader Lorenzo Baldassarri (FlexBox HP 40) though. A bike issue on two occasions meant the Italian set his first flying lap with under six minutes to go, eventually finishing 10th fastest, but the Qatar and Argentina GP race winner ended the session with a fast crash at Turn 5. Rider ok, but a vital afternoon awaits Baldassarri.
Khairul Idham Pawi (Petronas Sprinta Racing) was taken to the medical centre after a crash at Turn 5, with Iker Lecuona (American Racing KTM) crashing at Turn 1 – rider ok.
Catch the Moto2™ boys in action again when they head out for FP2 at 15:10 local time (GMT+2).
1. Jorge Navarro (HDR Heidrun Speed Up) - 1:41.819
2. Brad Binder (Red Bull KTM Ajo) + 0.019
3. Jorge Martin (Red Bull KTM Ajo) + 0.116
4. Tom Lüthi (Dynavolt Intact GP) + 0.139
5. Remy Gardner (ONEXOX TKKR SAG Team) + 0.153
6. Alex Marquez (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) + 0.155
7. Augusto Fernandez (FlexBox HP 40) + 0.262
8. Tetsuta Nagashima (ONEXOX TKKR SAG Team) + 0.365
9. Luca Marini (SKY Racing Team VR46) + 0.396
10. Lorenzo Baldassarri (FlexBox HP 40) + 0.478
Click here for the full results!