New to motogp.com?Register here
FP1 at the HJC Helmets Motorrad Grand Prix Deutschland saw Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha SRT) beat nine-time Sachsenring winner Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) to P1 after the Frenchman set a 1:21.390 to head the Championship leader by 0.074, with Valentino Rossi (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) 0.574 back in third.
What's Marquez using to help keep King of the Ring title?
Is the King of the Ring’s reign under threat? It’s way too early to draw conclusions but it was a great start to the weekend for Quartararo as he got his first taste of the Sachsenring on a MotoGP™ bike. Marquez was the early pacesetter as the number 93 – unexpectedly – looked right at home from the get-go while sporting an updated carbon reinforced chassis, but a late charge from the rookie sensation meant Quartararo drew first blood to take Friday morning honours.
There seems to be no Dutch GP hangover for both Rossi and Alex Rins (Team Suzuki Ecstar). The duo both crashed out of contention on Sunday in Assen but they made solid starts to their weekend in Germany, both riders set a 1:21.9 to finish third and fourth. Assen winner Maverick Viñales (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) completed a top five split by 0.861 on a cloudy morning, with sixth pace Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team) and seventh fastest Jack Miller (Pramac Racing) the only other riders to get within a second of Quartararo’s time. Aprilia Racing Team Gresini’s Andrea Iannone led the two injured LCR Honda riders of Takaaki Nakagami (LCR Honda Idemitsu) and Cal Crutchlow (LCR Honda Castrol) to complete the top ten.
Francesco Bagnaia (Pramac Racing) crashed at Turn 8, rider ok.
Will Marquez get the better of Quartararo in FP2? Find out at 14:10 local time (GMT+2).
1. Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha SRT) - 1:21.390
2. Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) + 0.074
3. Valentino Rossi (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) + 0.574
4. Alex Rins (Team Suzuki Ecstar) + 0.577
5. Maverick Viñales (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) + 0.861
6. Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team) + 0.892
7. Jack Miller (Pramac Racing) + 0.975
8. Andrea Iannone (Aprilia Racing Team Gresini) + 1.007
9. Takaaki Nakagami (LCR Honda Idemitsu) + 1.025
10. Cal Crutchlow (LCR Honda Castrol) + 1.049
Click here for the full results!
MotoGP™ FP1: Round 9 is GO!
4 years ago