New to motogp.com?Register here
Leopard Racing's Jaume Masia continued his MotorLand Aragon form by taking top spot in the opening session of the Liqui Moly Teruel Grand Prix. Just five days on from clinching his first victory of 2020 in the Aragon Grand Prix, the Spaniard was only four tenths adrift of last weekend's pole position time to close out Moto3™ FP1 fastest ahead of Romano Fenati (Sterilgarda Max Racing Team) and Deniz Öncü (Red Bull KTM Tech3).
Round 12: Moto3™ FP1 at the Teruel Grand Prix
With ambient and track temperature of around 18 degrees Celcius at the end of the session, conditions were a far cry from the baltic conditions of one week ago allowing the lightweight class to instantly get down to a competitive pace. Everybody inside the top 17 improved in the final five minutes of the session, with Masia, in the end, setting the fastest lap of 1:58.076.
Fenati backed up his top five finish of last weekend by being two tenths adrift in second, with rookie Öncü finding a great improvement to sit third. World Championship leader Albert Arenas (Solunion Aspar Team Moto3) is fourth on the timesheets ahead of the returning Tony Arbolino (Rivacold Snipers Team), who's back in action this weekend after serving his mandatory period of self-isolation following direct contact with a positive Covid-19 case.
Fresh from signing a new one-year deal with the Petronas Sprinta Racing squad, Scotland's John McPhee was sixth tenths adrift on Friday morning in sixth place, closely followed by Jeremy Alcoba (Kömmerling Gresini Moto3) and Celestino Vietti (SKY Racing Team VR46). Completing the top ten was Gabriel Rodrigo (Kömmerling Gresini Moto3) and Tatsuki Suzuki (SIC58 Squadra Corse).
1. Jaume Masia (Leopard Racing) – 1:58.076
2. Romano Fenati (Sterilgarda Max Racing Team) + 0.136
3. Deniz Öncü (Red Bull KTM Tech3) + 0.203
4. Albert Arenas (Solunion Aspar Team Moto3) + 0.443
5. Tony Arbolino (Rivacold Snipers Team) + 0.594
6. John McPhee (Petronas Sprinta Racing) + 0.650
7. Jeremy Alcoba (Kömmerling Gresini Moto3) + 0.673
8. Celestino Vietti (SKY Racing Team VR46) + 0.767
9. Gabriel Rodrigo (Kömmerling Gresini Moto3) + 0.827
10. Tatsuki Suzuki (SIC58 Squadra Corse) + 0.849
2 weeks ago