New to motogp.com?Register here
The Moto3™ riders have attacked the Algarve International Circuit for the first time and coming out on top in an extended Grande Premio MEO de Portugal was Leopard Racing’s Jaume Masia. The Spaniard set a 1:48.896 to finish 0.158 seconds ahead of Romano Fenati (Sterilgarda Max Racing Team), who crashed at the final corner, with Championship leader Albert Arenas (Gaviota Aspar Team Moto3) completing the top three.
Masia was the pacesetter in the extended 55-minute FP1 session, but it wasn’t plain sailing for the Honda man. Turn 14 caught Masia out just after the same corner had seen Stefan Nepa (Gaviota Aspar Team Moto3) crash in almost identical fashion. Title contender Ai Ogura (Honda Team Asia) had a huge moment coming around the final corner, an early scare for the Japanese rider.
Fenati was 1.2 seconds quicker than his competitors with just over 10 minutes to go before his final corner get-off but by the chequered flag, Masia was quickest. Fenati improved on his last lap to get within two tenths and behind Arenas was Sergio Garcia (Estrella Galicia 0,0) and Andrea Migno (SKY Racing Team VR46), with a second covering the top 13 riders.
Second in the Championship Ogura ended the opening Portimao session in P26, 1.8 seconds off P1. Third in the title race Tony Arbolino (Rivacold Snipers Team) was P11, 0.8 seconds away from Masia’s pace.
Moto3™ FP2 kicks off at 12:50 local time (GMT+0).
1. Jaume Masia (Leopard Racing) – 1:48.896
2. Romano Fenati (Sterilgarda Max Racing Team) + 0.158
3. Albert Arenas (Gaviota Aspar Team) + 0.213
4. Sergio Garcia (Estrella Galicia 0,0) + 0.392
5. Andrea Migno (SKY Racing Team VR46) + 0.641
6. Raul Fernandez (Red Bull KTM Ajo) + 0.660
7. Deniz Öncü (Red Bull KTM Tech3) + 0.702
8. Jeremy Alcoba (Kömmerling Gresini Moto3) + 0.713
9. John McPhee (Petronas Sprinta Racing) + 0.770
10. Gabriel Rodrigo (Kömmerling Gresini Moto3) + 0.777
2 weeks ago