New to motogp.com?Register here
The Moto3™ field might have had almost six weeks off for their summer break, but Sergio Garcia was showing no signs of rust in FP1 at the Monster Energy British Grand Prix. The World Championship leader set the fastest lap of the opening session of the weekend at the Silverstone Circuit, a 2:12.868 in the final four minutes of proceedings on his Gaviota GASGAS Aspar Team entry. Leopard Racing’s Dennis Foggia took second with a post-chequered flag 2:12.909, while Lorenzo Fellon (SIC58 Squadra Corse) completed the top three on a 2:12.929.
Deniz Öncü (Red Bull KTM Tech3) finished the session fourth-fastest courtesy of a late 2:12.977 and Ryusei Yamanaka (MT Helmets - MSI) was classified fifth thanks to a 2:13.152. Izan Guevara (Gaviota GASGAS Aspar Team) was seventh on a 2:13.190, one position up on Ayumu Sasaki (Sterilgarda Husqvarna Max), who set a 2:13.246. Sasaki is, of course, the most recent race winner in the lightweight class, at Assen back in June.
Daniel Holgado was a notable even if he only set a time good enough for 13th-fastest. The Spaniard went quickest in the early stages of the session just as he was shown a black flag because his Red Bull KTM Ajo entry did not have a transponder fitted. Holgado was soon seen off his bike which out on circuit – rider okay – although exactly why that was the case is not clear.
The first session after the summer break is done! There will be more Moto3™ action when FP2 starts later on Friday at 13:15 (GMT +1).
Moto3™ FP1 Top 10:
1. Sergio Garcia (Gaviota GASGAS Aspar Team) – 2:12.868
2. Dennis Foggia (Leopard Racing) + 0.041
3. Lorenzo Fellon (SIC58 Squadra Corse) + 0.061
4. Deniz Öncü (Red Bull KTM Tech3) + 0.109
5. Ryusei Yamanaka (MT Helmets – MSI) + 0.284
6. Kaito Toba (CIP Green Power) + 0.296
7. Izan Guevara (Gaviota GASGAS Aspar Team) + 0.322
8. Ayumu Sasaki (Sterilgarda Husqvarna Max) + 0.378
9. Diogo Moreira (MT Helmets – MSI) + 0.383
10. John McPhee (Sterilgarda Husqvarna Max) + 0.436
5 days ago
5 days ago
6 days ago