Dennis Foggia (Leopard Racing) set the pace in Moto3™ FP1 at the Motul TT Assen as the Italian set a 1:41.748, beating second place Darryn Binder (Petronas Sprinta Racing) by just 0.070s. Andrea Migno (Rivacold Snipers Team), despite an early crash at Turn 9, completed the top three on Friday morning.
Cool, clear conditions greeted the lightweight class in the opening Free Practice session of the weekend, and it was Romano Fenati (Sterilgarda Max Racing Team) and another crasher Gabriel Rodrigo (Indonesian Racing Gresini Moto3) who rounded out the top five.
Lorenzo Fellon (SIC58 Squadra Corse) and Stefano Nepa (BOE Owlride) crashed unhurt too, with Jaume Masia (Red Bull KTM Ajo) suffering a huge highside at Turn 9. The Spaniard was thankfully back up on his feet after being helped to the side of the track, a big one for Masia, who was declared fit after a visit to the medical centre.
Tune into Moto3™ FP2 at 13:15 local time (GMT+2).
1. Dennis Foggia (Leopard Racing) - 1:41.748
2. Darryn Binder (Petronas Sprinta Racing) + 0.070
3. Andrea Migno (Rivacold Snipers Team) + 0.338
4. Romano Fenati (Sterilgarda Max Racing Team) + 0.465
5. Gabriel Rodrigo (Indonesian Racing Gresini Moto3) + 0.474
6. Niccolo Antonelli (Avintia Esponsorama Moto3) + 0.600
7. Pedro Acosta (Red Bull KTM Ajo) + 0.609
8. Tatsuki Suzuki (SIC58 Squadra Corse) + 0.655
9. John McPhee (Petronas Sprinta Racing) + 0.692
10. Stefano Nepa (BOE Owlride) + 0.738