Telegraph – Newey: ‘MotoGP riders are superhuman’
In a feature article and interview with F1 car designer Adrian Newey in The Telegraph the British engineer describes MotoGP™ riders as superhuman.
In the recently published piece entitled ‘Adrian Newey: The magnificent man and his flying machines’, the UK newspaper states that Newey's racing cars have dominated Formula One for the past 25 years and seen him described as being “close to genius”.
Journalist Michael Harvey quotes Newey saying, “If you watch a sport – it doesn’t matter what sport – you want to come away with a feeling those guys are special. If you watch MotoGP you think those guys are just superhuman. You just don’t get that with the current breed of F1 cars.”
Speedweek – Bradl could return to Moto2™
According to German media outlet speedweek.com Stefan Bradl would consider a return to Moto2 in 2015, if he does not find the right offer to stay in the premier class.
"My priority is to stay with Honda and LCR," Bradl told Speedweek. "But if I cannot get top material in MotoGP I have to consider going back to Moto2 for one year. (Mika) Kallio has gone back from MotoGP and is winning, Toni Elias won the Moto2 title in his first year in the class after returning from MotoGP."
Meanwhile, Speedweek also report that Bradl has no offer on the table from LCR Honda or HRC yet, but quote Lucio Cecchinello as saying: "I want to continue with Stefan because we want to further our project with a top Northern European MotoGP rider and we are convinced he has not yet shown his full potential."
Motorsport-total.com: No KTM engines for Kalex in 2015
Publication motorsport-total.com reports that KTM racing chief Pit Beirer has informed both teams and Kalex boss Alex Baumgärtel that from the 2015 season they will no longer be providing customer engines – instead selling just the full bike package. Baumgärtel allegedly took it well and insisted that they would keep supporting their teams until the end of the season. 2015 sees a 13,500rpm rev limit imposed in the Moto3™ World Championship. This doesn’t necessarily mean that Kalex will disappear from Moto3 all together, as it still has a presence in national championships.
Marca: ‘Pedrosa renews with Honda’
Spanish sports newspaper Marca reports on Tuesday that an agreement has been reached between Dani Pedrosa and HRC, which would keep the former championship runner-up with Repsol Honda Team once a few last details have been slotted into place.
‘The foundations are already laid, depending on a few details which could mean the announcement is delayed for a while, but there would be no reason to break the deal,’ Marca’s Jaume Martin writes. ‘Dani rejected offers from Suzuki and Ducati. He also kept an eye on the Yamaha situation in case Jorge Lorenzo didn’t renew with them.’
Explaining that Honda continues to rate both the performances and robustness of Pedrosa, Marca also demonstrates another element that may have helped the decision. ‘There is another factor. The good relationship between the two Catalans (Pedrosa and Marquez) at HRC. Signing Lorenzo could have been seen as distraction for Marquez, even though he has said publically that this wouldn’t be a problem.’
MCN - Crutchlow manager in Suzuki talks
MCN’s Matthew Birt reports that Cal Crutchlow’s personal manager Bob Moore has met with senior Suzuki management, linking the British rider with a possible move to the Japanese factory as they get set for a return to MotoGP™ in 2015.
Suzuki MotoGP team manager Davide Brivio, told MCN: “We have spoken to Cal. It is well known that Cal has an option to decide if he will continue with Ducati next season, so I imagine before he takes that decision he wants to look at the alternatives.”
Pedrosa blogs about returning confidence for BT Sport
Repsol Honda’s Dani Pedrosa has started a new blog for the UK’s BT Sport and has revealed that his confidence is returning fast after arm surgery earlier in the year.
Commenting on the round seven race in Barcelona, Pedrosa writes, "You can imagine how happy I am with how the race went! But more than just happiness, it’s about confidence because I can see that the arm is now my friend again!"
"On the Sunday night I watched the race and it reminded me of the motor racing I used to watch in the early 90’s - the great battles between Doohan, Schwantz, Rainey, Gardner and Lawson etc - four riders at the front from the beginning, all fighting and making great passing moves for the entire race, it was great to watch."
Eurogamer.net: A game made by MotoGP fans for MotoGP fans
Leading video game news website Eurogamer.net awarded an 8 out of 10 to the new MotoGP 14 official game which is now available on Xbox 360®, Windows PC®, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Vita and PlayStation®4.
Motosprint: Lorenzo thinking about Ducati for 2016
Italian motorcycle magazine Motosprint is reporting fresh stories of Jorge Lorenzo possibly linking up with Ducati Team for the 2016 MotoGP™ season. There is no reported firm offer from the company at present, however, with Lorenzo believed to be re-negotiating with Movistar Yamaha MotoGP for an option of one more year (which is believed to be against the wishes of a two-year deal from Yamaha’s Lin Jarvis). This could allow Lorenzo to be free to join Ducati from the start of 2016, with the two-time premier class World Champion having a close relationship with Ducati’s Gigi Dall’Igna, with whom he first worked when he rode a Derbi 125 bike.
Speedweek: No Bradl offers for 2015 yet
German publication Speedweek.com has quoted LCR Honda MotoGP’s Stefan Bradl as saying he has no offers on the table yet from any teams after his contract runs out at the end of 2014. His wish is allegedly to stay with LCR, though he realises that Honda may wish to bring fresh blood into the satellite outfits. Other options would include the Suzuki seat that has not yet been filled from the returning Japanese factory. Bradl believes that he has to wait for Dani Pedrosa, Valentino Rossi, Jorge Lorenzo and Andrea Dovizioso to decide upon their futures before he can realistically consider his options, though his fifth place in Catalunya on Sunday will have helped in his bid to remain with Honda.
Catalan showdown featured in The Washington Post
Following Sunday’s dramatic encounter at the Grand Prix of Catalunya, recognised newspaper The Washington Post has published an article detailing the race.
Marc Marquez continued to dominate the points table, winning for the seventh time in as many races at the start of this season, but only after battling hard with Yamaha duo Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo plus team-mate Dani Pedrosa, with the two Honda riders – fighting for the marque’s 100th Grand Prix victory since the four-stroke MotoGP™ era began in 2002 – made contact on the final lap of the 23-lap race.
“I said it was all or nothing and I risked 100 percent,” Marquez was quoted as describing the memorable battle, with Pedrosa adding:
“We gave them a good show. On the last lap we almost hit each other two or three times…well, we did once and I almost went down, but I am very happy because I was able to fight with Marc until the finish.”
6cero – Mariñelarena will not return in 2014
Following his serious accident in a private Moto2™ test with Tech 3 in France at the end of February and the subsequent rehabilitation process he is undergoing, Spanish rider Alex Mariñelarena has announced that he will not be coming back into Grand Prix racing this season.
In a statement released via his social media channels and reported by website 6cero.com, Mariñelarena said, "This year I will not be able to return to participate in the Moto2™ World Championship. In fact I have not even been able to start the season due to my serious accident and I'm starting to realize that my dream, which was coming true as I began working with the great Tech3 Moto2 team, has disappeared due to my recovery process which is taking longer than expected according medical results and my doctors."
BT Sport: ‘Stoner – I’m happy to relax’
Casey Stoner insists that he has planned a ‘complete break’ in 2014, with the exception of a one-off test he may carry out for HRC.
“In terms of MotoGP™, I haven’t really watched that much to be totally honest,” Stoner said in an interview with British MotoGP™ broadcaster BT Sport. “I’ve seen bits here and there and Marc Marquez is obviously doing a very good job at Honda.
“Lots of people have asked if I’m going to be doing any testing, but I decided not to do anything this year, to have a complete break. I told Nakamoto-san (Vice-President of HRC) and Livio (Suppo, Team Principal of Repsol Honda Team) that I would like to do a test for them – if they need me to – out of goodwill, as last year many of my contracted test days were a washout with bad weather, so I felt guilty for being paid not to ride. So we’ll see if that comes off.
“If not, I plan to have a relaxing winter here in Australia. I spend a bit of time with some of the V8 boys when they’re not at races and in general I’m just enjoying being at home with (daughter) Ally and (wife) Adri. We have a few trips planned for the end of the year and pretty soon we’ll have to start thinking about the future and what we want to do. But for now, I’m happy to relax and not live out of a suitcase for the first time since I can remember.”
Speedweek – KTM: "MotoGP entry is a dream"
KTM Racing Director Pit Beirer has told Speedweek.com’s Günther Wiesinger that the Austrian manufacturer dreams of a return to the MotoGP™ category in the future.
The factory’s previous premier class involvement with Team Roberts came to an end due to cost issues nearly a decade ago, but KTM have subsequently enjoyed great success in Moto3™. Speedweek report that the European brand may look to re-enter MotoGP one day, when standard ECU software helps to further bring down costs.
Beirer comments, "MotoGP is a dream for a motorsport company like KTM. But this step is so big and so far away that an entry is not currently realistic. I emphasize the word ‘currently’, because I hope that we continue to grow as a company and also the racing department can develop so that we can look at it one day."
Speedweek: Miller could head straight to MotoGP
Speedweek’s Günther Wiesinger has reported that Moto3™ World Championship leader Jack Miller could head straight up from the lightweight class into MotoGP™ in 2015 if the rider gets the right offer.
Wiesinger writes that the Red Bull KTM Ajo rider even has an offer in place from Honda Racing Corporation. The article also states that ‘Miller and his personal manager Aki Ajo will weigh up all offers over the coming weeks and months’.
Asked if he would take on the challenge of the premier class without first riding in Moto2™ Miller told Wiesinger, “If I can get a long-term contract I would do it. If the right offer was on the table, with a decent bike, I could take up the challenge, I think. Even if it was an ‘Open’ class bike, then I can get used to carbon brakes and have decent tyres. But it needs to be a long term contract.”
Movistar TV interview Rossi regarding future
In an exclusive interview with Izaskun Ruiz from Spain’s premium MotoGP™ broadcaster Movistar TV, Valentino Rossi has restated his intention of renewing with Yamaha for two more years in Grand Prix racing and has commented on how his contract negotiations are going.
The Italian told Ruiz, “There are still things that we will continue to negotiate with the contract. Firstly we need to decide the duration. I want two years and Yamaha would have to want the same. There are some other points that we still have to agree on, but on the main points in the contract, we’re in agreement.”
CNN on Rossi’s 300 GPs and a special weekend at Mugello
CNN’s Jonathan Hawkins has run a special feature with the global news giant on Valentino Rossi’s milestone of reaching 300 Grands Prix on the same weekend as the MotoGP™ World Championship visits the magnificent Mugello circuit.
Hawkins writes, ‘On Sunday one of Italy's greatest sons Valentino Rossi celebrates a special anniversary as the man known to all on two wheels as "The Doctor" lines up for his 300th MotoGP race. And what a special stage for such a special day. Coiled like a basking viper in the Tuscan hills lays Mugello, the Ferrari-owned circuit that may be both MotoGP's most evocative and beautiful.’
Giving the word to former MotoGP™ rider and Superbike World Champion James Toseland on the beauty of Mugello, Hawkins quotes Toseland as saying, "You hit 215mph at the end of the Mugello Straight, and carving through the valley at that speed is pretty incredible. All the riders really enjoy the event. The support, the camping, the scenery, it's like a mini-festival."
Sportweek focus on Moto3™ front runner Fenati
The Italian magazine Sportweek has devoted four pages to Italy’s Moto3™ talent Romano Fenati. The magazine revealed some secrets of the 18 year-old rider, a pupil of Valentino Rossi in the SKY VR46 Racing Team. Fenati admits he is very superstitious and always follows a ritual during the weekend.
“We’re still at the beginning of season and we must stay focused,” he reflected on his title chances. “We will push very hard to achieve the goal, the KTM is a good bike.”
Fenati also confessed that he felt a lot of pressure when he heard - last year in Indianapolis - that Rossi was considering him for his Moto3 project. He also recalled a compliment that the nine-time World Champion gave him after a race: “You’re a beast!”
MCN: ‘Honda keen to field Jonathan Rea in MotoGP™’
Honda is pushing for a spot on the 2015 MotoGP™ grid for Jonathan Rea, Motorcycle News (MCN) reports. Having covered for the injured Casey Stoner briefly in 2012, the Northern Irishman is currently leading the FIM Superbike World Championship following an impressive double victory last time out at Imola.
"He is doing a very good job and personally I would really like to see him in MotoGP™," Livio Team, Repsol Honda Team Principal, told MCN.
"He has been a Honda rider for a very long time and we really like him, so hopefully we can build up something for him. The two races he did as Casey’s replacement were not easy at all; he was constantly switching between MotoGP™ and World Superbikes, so he was on different bikes and different tyres every other week and he did a good job. It would be nice to see him in MotoGP."
Suppo went on to state that Rea’s most likely option would be one of the RCV1000R customer bikes, the like of which are already ridden by Drive M7 Aspar riders Nicky Hayden and Hiroshi Aoyama plus GO&FUN Honda Gresini’s Scott Redding and Cardion AB Motoracing’s Karel Abraham.
MCN: Pedrosa keen on new Honda deal
With Repsol Honda Team having secured a deal with Marc Marquez which retains him until the end of 2016, the second slot at the official Honda factory team is drawing a lot of attention as Dani Pedrosa's current contract runs out at the end of the ongoing season. Linked with a switch to Suzuki, the Spaniard - who had been riding for Repsol Honda since his premier class debut in 2006 - has claims he is keen to remain where he is.
Talking to MCN, Pedrosa explained: “My first choice is to stay with Honda. I have been with them for many years and they will be the first I speak with. But you always have to keep an open possibility. I am very glad to know the interest of Suzuki, but my first talks have to be with Honda.”
French hopeful Fabio Quartararo featured in L'Équipe
French newspaper L'Équipe ran an in-depth profile on French hopeful Fabio Quartararo, the reigning FIM CEV Repsol Champion who's back on home soil this weekend at Le Mans for the first round of the Spanish series held outside of the Iberian peninsula. The 15 year-old is following the footsteps of Marc Marquez as Emilio Alzamora's protégé and is expected to make his Grand Prix debut next season when he reaches the legal age to race in the Moto3™ World Championship.