El Pais – How Lorenzo lost 4kg since start of season
Spanish newspaper El Pais have reported on Jorge Lorenzo’s intense training and careful diet planning during the summer break with a regime which has seen the Movistar Yamaha MotoGP rider lose 4kg in recent months.
Lorenzo started the 2014 season at less than 100% fitness after surgery during the winter, but he now feels fully fit after training for up to eight hours a day in recent weeks. The 2010 and 2012 MotoGP™ World Champion has changed his eating habits and has been working with a new personal trainer Marc Rovira since round three in Argentina, who has converted the Spanish rider into a keen mountain biker.
El Pais quote Lorenzo as saying, "Until this year I had always worked in the gym; now I'm starting to train outside more. I'm pretty good on the bike. I like it because it gets you fit without much impact and does not punish the joints."
Agostini tells Gazzetta: ‘If Marquez equals me, he deserves it’
In an interview with Gazzetta dello Sport the 15-time World Champion Giacomo Agostini has spoken of the chances of Marc Marquez to equal his record of winning the opening 10 races of a premier class season, which the Italian legend achieved in 1968, 1969 and 1970.
Marquez could match that achievement this weekend at Indianapolis and Agostini told Gazzetta, “Marquez is a guy who uses his head and he has always been strong at Indy. If he wins on Sunday and equals my record he deserves it. Everything he’s won he’s deserved to win.”
On the chances of Marquez to remain undefeated throughout 2014, Agostini says, “I think he is capable of winning every race. It would be an incredible record, not just for him but also for the manufacturer, because if the bike doesn’t get you to the finish line the rest is pointless.”
Speedweek: KTM to race in MotoGP in 2017
Racing publication Speedweek.com has reported that in an exclusive interview with KTM boss Stefan Pierer he has said the company plans a MotoGP™ entry for 2017. By that time the spec electronics will be in place, and Michelin would have had its first year back in the championship.
Despite KTM’s two-cylinder philosophy, Pierer commented that the project would be a 1000cc V4 engine, using a steel trellis frame and its in-house WP suspension. In terms of timing, the manufacturer aims to have the first engine test in May 2015, with “production” models of the bike ready for that autumn.
It would aim to keep the same racing philosophy as currently in Moto3™, choosing not to run a full factory team, but instead offering it as a customer bike. Pierer was also quoted as saying that they will be looking for a strong test rider for 2016.
Speedweek.com: Crutchlow to join LCR Honda MotoGP?
MCN - Ducati to expand to six bike effort in MotoGP™
Matthew Birt of MCN reports that Ducati will have six machines on the grid for the 2015 MotoGP™ World Championship with Avintia Racing said to be set to switch to the Bologna factory next year.
Avintia are currently running Kawasaki ZX-10R machinery in the premier class but MCN report that they will run the latest spec factory GP14 Desmosedici bikes in 2015.
Ducati MotoGP Project Director Paolo Ciabatti is quoted by Birt, saying, “The basis of the bikes for Avintia will be the latest spec machinery from our official team after an evolution, which will arrive in Indianapolis or Brno. It is a good opportunity for Ducati and for Avintia. As we have seen this year with Yonny Hernandez, he has still been able to do good things with the 2013 bike, so the 2014 version can go even better.”
Marca: Aprilia plan 2015 MotoGP™ comeback with Bautista
According to Spanish newspaper Marca Aprilia are planning to participate in MotoGP™ next year, as opposed to a previously proposed 2016 arrival date.
With significant technical changes in the premier class coming into effect as of 2016, Marca report that Aprilia want to accelerate their MotoGP project in an attempt to be competitive as soon as possible. The Italian manufacturer is reported to have a prototype machine with a seamless transmission and pneumatic valve engine being developed on the base of the ART machine ridden by Aleix Espargaro in 2013.
The publication also report that Aprilia want to line Alvaro Bautista up on the MotoGP grid next season, with the Spanish rider having delivered a 125 title for them in 2006 and having also ridden an Aprilia in the 250 class before he graduated to the premier class. Suzuki Superbike rider Eugene Laverty is apparently in the frame to ride alongside Bautista in the team.
Rossi feels he could ride until he is 40
In an exclusive interview with Telecinco’s Dennis Noyes, carried by Cycleworld, nine-time World Champion Valentino Rossi has stated he believes he could ride at the elite level of motorcycle racing until he is 40.
The 35 year-old Italian recently signed a new Movistar Yamaha MotoGP contract to ride with the team until at least the end of 2016 and told Noyes, “Ten years ago, I had to demonstrate more and I was more hungry and especially more under pressure. Now I have already demonstrated what I want to demonstrate to everybody, and I am a bit more relaxed. But in this sport to be very relaxed is not good. I have to be a bit angry and show that I can stay in front.”
Rossi also stated, “Marc Marquez has made another step and it is very difficult, but being happy and having fun is important. I think that, for the body, to ride the bike on the limit, I think that until 40 you can continue.”
Speedweek: Viñales signs three-year deal with Suzuki
According to German publication Speedweek, Moto2™ rookie Maverick Viñales has signed a three-year deal to join the returning Suzuki MotoGP™ outfit. The second seat in the team has allegedly not been filled yet, though in the same article the German motorsport web rules out Andrea Dovizioso as he has reportedly re-signed for Ducati.
Telegraph – Newey: ‘MotoGP riders are superhuman’
In a feature article and interview with F1 car designer Adrian Newey in The Telegraph the British engineer describes MotoGP™ riders as superhuman.
In the recently published piece entitled ‘Adrian Newey: The magnificent man and his flying machines’, the UK newspaper states that Newey's racing cars have dominated Formula One for the past 25 years and seen him described as being “close to genius”.
Journalist Michael Harvey quotes Newey saying, “If you watch a sport – it doesn’t matter what sport – you want to come away with a feeling those guys are special. If you watch MotoGP you think those guys are just superhuman. You just don’t get that with the current breed of F1 cars.”
Speedweek – Bradl could return to Moto2™
According to German media outlet speedweek.com Stefan Bradl would consider a return to Moto2 in 2015, if he does not find the right offer to stay in the premier class.
"My priority is to stay with Honda and LCR," Bradl told Speedweek. "But if I cannot get top material in MotoGP I have to consider going back to Moto2 for one year. (Mika) Kallio has gone back from MotoGP and is winning, Toni Elias won the Moto2 title in his first year in the class after returning from MotoGP."
Meanwhile, Speedweek also report that Bradl has no offer on the table from LCR Honda or HRC yet, but quote Lucio Cecchinello as saying: "I want to continue with Stefan because we want to further our project with a top Northern European MotoGP rider and we are convinced he has not yet shown his full potential."
Motorsport-total.com: No KTM engines for Kalex in 2015
Publication motorsport-total.com reports that KTM racing chief Pit Beirer has informed both teams and Kalex boss Alex Baumgärtel that from the 2015 season they will no longer be providing customer engines – instead selling just the full bike package. Baumgärtel allegedly took it well and insisted that they would keep supporting their teams until the end of the season. 2015 sees a 13,500rpm rev limit imposed in the Moto3™ World Championship. This doesn’t necessarily mean that Kalex will disappear from Moto3 all together, as it still has a presence in national championships.
Marca: ‘Pedrosa renews with Honda’
Spanish sports newspaper Marca reports on Tuesday that an agreement has been reached between Dani Pedrosa and HRC, which would keep the former championship runner-up with Repsol Honda Team once a few last details have been slotted into place.
‘The foundations are already laid, depending on a few details which could mean the announcement is delayed for a while, but there would be no reason to break the deal,’ Marca’s Jaume Martin writes. ‘Dani rejected offers from Suzuki and Ducati. He also kept an eye on the Yamaha situation in case Jorge Lorenzo didn’t renew with them.’
Explaining that Honda continues to rate both the performances and robustness of Pedrosa, Marca also demonstrates another element that may have helped the decision. ‘There is another factor. The good relationship between the two Catalans (Pedrosa and Marquez) at HRC. Signing Lorenzo could have been seen as distraction for Marquez, even though he has said publically that this wouldn’t be a problem.’
MCN - Crutchlow manager in Suzuki talks
MCN’s Matthew Birt reports that Cal Crutchlow’s personal manager Bob Moore has met with senior Suzuki management, linking the British rider with a possible move to the Japanese factory as they get set for a return to MotoGP™ in 2015.
Suzuki MotoGP team manager Davide Brivio, told MCN: “We have spoken to Cal. It is well known that Cal has an option to decide if he will continue with Ducati next season, so I imagine before he takes that decision he wants to look at the alternatives.”
Pedrosa blogs about returning confidence for BT Sport
Repsol Honda’s Dani Pedrosa has started a new blog for the UK’s BT Sport and has revealed that his confidence is returning fast after arm surgery earlier in the year.
Commenting on the round seven race in Barcelona, Pedrosa writes, "You can imagine how happy I am with how the race went! But more than just happiness, it’s about confidence because I can see that the arm is now my friend again!"
"On the Sunday night I watched the race and it reminded me of the motor racing I used to watch in the early 90’s - the great battles between Doohan, Schwantz, Rainey, Gardner and Lawson etc - four riders at the front from the beginning, all fighting and making great passing moves for the entire race, it was great to watch."
Eurogamer.net: A game made by MotoGP fans for MotoGP fans
Leading video game news website Eurogamer.net awarded an 8 out of 10 to the new MotoGP 14 official game which is now available on Xbox 360®, Windows PC®, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Vita and PlayStation®4.
Motosprint: Lorenzo thinking about Ducati for 2016
Italian motorcycle magazine Motosprint is reporting fresh stories of Jorge Lorenzo possibly linking up with Ducati Team for the 2016 MotoGP™ season. There is no reported firm offer from the company at present, however, with Lorenzo believed to be re-negotiating with Movistar Yamaha MotoGP for an option of one more year (which is believed to be against the wishes of a two-year deal from Yamaha’s Lin Jarvis). This could allow Lorenzo to be free to join Ducati from the start of 2016, with the two-time premier class World Champion having a close relationship with Ducati’s Gigi Dall’Igna, with whom he first worked when he rode a Derbi 125 bike.
Speedweek: No Bradl offers for 2015 yet
German publication Speedweek.com has quoted LCR Honda MotoGP’s Stefan Bradl as saying he has no offers on the table yet from any teams after his contract runs out at the end of 2014. His wish is allegedly to stay with LCR, though he realises that Honda may wish to bring fresh blood into the satellite outfits. Other options would include the Suzuki seat that has not yet been filled from the returning Japanese factory. Bradl believes that he has to wait for Dani Pedrosa, Valentino Rossi, Jorge Lorenzo and Andrea Dovizioso to decide upon their futures before he can realistically consider his options, though his fifth place in Catalunya on Sunday will have helped in his bid to remain with Honda.
Catalan showdown featured in The Washington Post
Following Sunday’s dramatic encounter at the Grand Prix of Catalunya, recognised newspaper The Washington Post has published an article detailing the race.
Marc Marquez continued to dominate the points table, winning for the seventh time in as many races at the start of this season, but only after battling hard with Yamaha duo Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo plus team-mate Dani Pedrosa, with the two Honda riders – fighting for the marque’s 100th Grand Prix victory since the four-stroke MotoGP™ era began in 2002 – made contact on the final lap of the 23-lap race.
“I said it was all or nothing and I risked 100 percent,” Marquez was quoted as describing the memorable battle, with Pedrosa adding:
“We gave them a good show. On the last lap we almost hit each other two or three times…well, we did once and I almost went down, but I am very happy because I was able to fight with Marc until the finish.”
6cero – Mariñelarena will not return in 2014
Following his serious accident in a private Moto2™ test with Tech 3 in France at the end of February and the subsequent rehabilitation process he is undergoing, Spanish rider Alex Mariñelarena has announced that he will not be coming back into Grand Prix racing this season.
In a statement released via his social media channels and reported by website 6cero.com, Mariñelarena said, "This year I will not be able to return to participate in the Moto2™ World Championship. In fact I have not even been able to start the season due to my serious accident and I'm starting to realize that my dream, which was coming true as I began working with the great Tech3 Moto2 team, has disappeared due to my recovery process which is taking longer than expected according medical results and my doctors."
BT Sport: ‘Stoner – I’m happy to relax’
Casey Stoner insists that he has planned a ‘complete break’ in 2014, with the exception of a one-off test he may carry out for HRC.
“In terms of MotoGP™, I haven’t really watched that much to be totally honest,” Stoner said in an interview with British MotoGP™ broadcaster BT Sport. “I’ve seen bits here and there and Marc Marquez is obviously doing a very good job at Honda.
“Lots of people have asked if I’m going to be doing any testing, but I decided not to do anything this year, to have a complete break. I told Nakamoto-san (Vice-President of HRC) and Livio (Suppo, Team Principal of Repsol Honda Team) that I would like to do a test for them – if they need me to – out of goodwill, as last year many of my contracted test days were a washout with bad weather, so I felt guilty for being paid not to ride. So we’ll see if that comes off.
“If not, I plan to have a relaxing winter here in Australia. I spend a bit of time with some of the V8 boys when they’re not at races and in general I’m just enjoying being at home with (daughter) Ally and (wife) Adri. We have a few trips planned for the end of the year and pretty soon we’ll have to start thinking about the future and what we want to do. But for now, I’m happy to relax and not live out of a suitcase for the first time since I can remember.”