MotoGP in the Media

 

Cadena SER: ‘Marquez would not block Lorenzo Honda move’

Wednesday, 11 December 2013

In an interview with Spanish radio station Cadena SER, Marc Marquez has claimed that he would not prevent Honda from signing up title rival Jorge Lorenzo, as well as admitting that he understands if current teammate Dani Pedrosa has been bothered by the rookie’s title success of the 2013 season.

“I would never block the arrival of Lorenzo – it would be interesting to have him in the box,” Marquez commented. “I do not mind who my teammate is; I just try to get the most out of it and learn as much as possible.”

Going on to discuss Pedrosa, Marquez recognised that his Repsol Honda Team partner had been ‘put in place’ and that he would dislike the same situation should the roles have been reversed. “I would be the first to be annoyed,” said the 20-year-old.

Il Messaggero: ‘Valentino to marry?

Tuesday, 10 December 2013

Italian newspaper Il Messaggero has echoed a rumour triggered by ‘Chi’ magazine, indicating that Valentino Rossi could soon marry his girlfriend, model Linda Morselli. It is believed the couple is organising a ceremony to be held in Limbiate, a town close to Milan in which Morselli lives.

However, Rossi has been prompt in holding back any details; during an interview with Radio Deejay, he explained that neither a date nor location had yet been decided.

MCN: 'Kenny Roberts - Marquez can dominate MotoGP™ for years'

Saturday, 07 December 2013

American MotoGP™ legend Kenny Roberts says Marc Marquez can dominate the premier class for years to come, following the Spaniard’s 2013 triumph – as reports the UK’s Motorcycle News.

Roberts was the last rider before Marquez to win the premier class title at the first attempt and he believes the Repsol Honda youngster has the attributes to continue as the top man in MotoGP™ for the foreseeable future.

"From what I’ve seen of him this season he is a pretty amazing guy," enthuses Roberts. "Ability-wise I don’t think there is any question he can dominate the sport now. In terms of ability I just don’t see anything holding him back. He is very enthusiastic and he loves what he is doing and that is going to be a hard combination to beat."

Speedweek.com: Bradl to train with Checa and Demaria

Thursday, 05 December 2013

German publication Speedweek.com has reported that LCR Honda MotoGP’s Stefan Bradl will step up his training this winter by training with three-times MX3 Champion Yves Demaria in France, and then in Spain with ex-MotoGP rider and one time WSBK Champion Carlos Checa. He has also teamed up with new personal trainer Bernd Thuner, a sports scientist who has written more than 30 books. This, hopes team boss Lucio Cecchinello will propel Bradl to the next level.

PU24.it: ‘Adidas To Sponsor Yamaha and Sky VR46 teams’

Wednesday, 04 December 2013

Yamaha Factory Racing looks set to gain another sponsor for 2014. According to PU24.it - the same website which broke the news of Rossi's decision to drop Jeremy Burgess - sportswear manufacturer Adidas is set to sponsor the factory Yamaha outfit of Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo next season.

The deal is said to be part of a larger contract, which will involve the Team Sky VR46 Moto3™ squad as well. The deal appears mainly aimed at the Italian market; according to PU24, one of the benefits for Adidas will be better visibility for its ads on the Sky Italia channel, which will be broadcasting MotoGP™ in Italy next year, and which is a co-sponsor of Rossi's Team Sky VR46 Moto3™ squad.

Bikesportnews.com: Camier in line for IODA seat in MotoGP™

Tuesday, 03 December 2013

British motorcycle publication Bikesportnews.com has quoted that Leon Camier, who last year rode for Suzuki in the World Superbike Championship, could be making his way to MotoGP™ next year with the IODA team. The Italian outfit, which has already retained the services of Danilo Petrucci, is also rumoured to be opting for Aprilia’s ART package instead of the BMW-Suter combination it has been running so far. Andorra-based Camier, from the UK, is said to be close to a deal, though is waiting for some detail to be ironed out, whilst also considering a few offers from WSBK.

Rolling Stone: ‘Stoner is unique, says Rossi’

Monday, 02 December 2013

Following a pair of problematic years with Ducati Team in 2011 and 2012, Valentino Rossi has admitted that former Ducati rider Casey Stoner was ‘unique’ in the way the Australian mastered the situation to become Champion with the marque in 2007.

Whereas Stoner claimed the world title with the Italian outfit, Rossi would manage to achieve no race wins and only three podiums finishes over the course of two years.

"Stoner did an amazing job at Ducati," Rossi tells Rolling Stone magazine, describing his own time at Ducati as having not made him stronger, but only ‘older’. "When I looked back at his telemetry I used to wonder how he’d achieve such times!...I immediately realised the bike wasn’t the best. I’m certain that, was Stoner to climb onto (Andrea) Dovizioso’s Ducati tomorrow, he’d still manage to finish a race in sixth place. He used to ride in an incredible way. He’s unique.

"Do I miss him? On the track, yes. He has fantastic talent and was difficult to beat. But off the track, no I don’t miss him. Without him there is much better camaraderie between the riders."

Motoworld: ‘Puig leaves Dani Pedrosa’s box’

Friday, 29 November 2013

Reported by Motoworld, Alberto Puig is to leave the role of Dani Pedrosa’s right-hand man as Raul Jara fills the breach from 2014 onwards.

As described in the article by the Spanish sports portal, the split is a ‘separation, not a break, between Dani Pedrosa and Alberto Puig and ends 15 years of the intensely close working relationship whether at the circuit or away from it.

The role of Puig will change at races, but the former rider will continue to act as a representative of Pedrosa. Now, such support will be coming from Raul Jara, who has long since served as a spotter for Pedrosa at the race tracks.’

OTOR: 'Hayden: I thought MotoGP™ dream might be over’

Thursday, 28 November 2013

Former World Champion Nicky Hayden has opened up to digital publication On-Track Off-Road (OTOR), admitting that he thought his time in the MotoGP™ World Championship could be coming to an end in 2013, after his deal with Ducati Team was not renewed for 2014.

The 32 year-old American told OTOR, "I am not ready to give up on MotoGP™ and didn’t enjoy those thoughts in my head when I first found out Ducati were not bringing me back."

On the personal drive which led to him taking on the challenge of racing the new Honda RCV1000R with the Aspar team in 2014, Hayden added, "I want to be in the deep waters at the highest level and that is why I race. If I was looking for an easy life then I would have just bought a cruiser and ridden around on Sundays." 

Sky Sport: 'Rossi denies retirement claim'

Wednesday, 27 November 2013

In an interview carried by Italian media outlet Sky Sport, Valentino Rossi has denied rumors about a possible departure from MotoGP™ at the end of the 2014 season, following a previous interview which was broadcast in Italy on Monday.
 
"My interview was shown yesterday, but it was done a month ago, and has been twisted. I did not say I want to stop riding. In fact, I hope to ride for another two or three years. Clearly, I'm interested in being competitive because I want to keep winning," said Rossi from his Tavullia ‘ranch’.

Bennetts: 'Circuit of Wales aims to host MotoGP™ in 2015'

Wednesday, 27 November 2013

Building work is due to commence on the ambitious Circuit of Wales development early in 2014 and according to Bennetts.co.uk the management team behind the project want to host MotoGP™ in 2015.

The first phase of construction at the 830-acre site will commence in February with a view to having the circuit and its facilities completed in time for homologation and testing by June of the following year.

Peter Thomas, CEO of Insight in Infrastructure Ltd, the delivery unit for Heads of the Valleys Development Ltd and the company creating the Circuit of Wales, told Bennetts: "We’ll need to go through the homologation process and be ready at least three months prior to MotoGP™. Our programme allows us to be ready for September 2015."

MCN: ‘Dovizioso says Crutchlow won’t get down at Ducati’

Friday, 22 November 2013

The UK’s motorcyclenews.com has published a short interview with Andrea Dovizioso on the arrival of Cal Crutchlow at Ducati.

Having previously ridden together at Tech 3 the pair know each other well and Dovizioso gave MCN his assessment of Crutchlow’s first weeks with Ducati, saying: "I think he didn't expect everything to be as he has found it but it was more or less what he expected, so I don't think he will be too down. He will be a little but not too much."

"The important part is to start improving and that’s what we didn't do this year and it is what we need. The problem will be if next year it is still like this for me and Cal."

CNN: ‘Poncharal expecting tighter 2014’

Wednesday, 20 November 2013

Herve Poncharal is confident that the introduction of the new Open category within the MotoGP™ class will ensure even closer competition in 2014. While full Factory entries (running with their own ECU software) will be constricted to a maximum of 20 litres of fuel across a Grand Prix distance, Open machines will amongst other things to able to run anything up to 24 litres.

"For me the grid is going to be a lot more competitive, the machines are going to be a lot closer," Poncharal, Team Manager of Monster Yamaha Tech3, tells CNN.

"If the number of competitive bikes is bigger then I’m sure other riders will at least have the chance to win, even if the same racers are winning. If we are able to demonstrate that we are keeping the electronics the same for everybody, with very competitive electronics for everybody, then this will reduce a lot of the cost and I’m sure will encourage other manufactures to come back."

GP-Inside: Burgess believes Rossi now trying to reach beyond his limits

Tuesday, 19 November 2013

True to his typically honest and open style Jeremy Burgess has given a candid interview to French media outlet GP-Inside, providing details of his split with Valentino Rossi.

The Italian rider parted ways with the Crew Chief after 14 years of working together, at the end of the 2013 season, prompting Burgess to state: “I knew that this moment could arrive but wasn’t expecting it. Many elite sports stars change trainer or coach when they are arriving towards the end of their careers. In Valentino’s case, he believes that he needs to make a big change which he thinks can take him back up to the level where wants to be. He knows it’s a gamble but wants to try it. From that point of view, I understand and respect his decision and hope it goes well.

“But I also believe that inside 'Valentino’s internal processor' the information is not arriving as fast as it used to. In Australia we refer to the ‘preservation gene’, which kicks in during your 30s and makes you feel more vulnerable. This is the thing now, Valentino is trying to reach beyond the limits of his capabilities.”

Gazzetta dello Sport: ‘Lorenzo not dismissing Honda for 2015’

Monday, 18 November 2013

Several publications, amongst them Italy’s Gazzetta dello Sport, are continuing to mention Jorge Lorenzo’s possible move to Honda for the 2015 MotoGP™ season. Furthermore, the World Champion of 2010 and 2012 is quoted as not dismissing the option: “You cannot rule out any team. You never know what can happen.”

Lorenzo, whose current deal with Yamaha ends in 2014, continues: “I would like to end my career with Yamaha, retiring as a Yamaha legend. I would like to win another title as Rainey or Lawson did, but I would also like to have the best bike, so hopefully Yamaha will be able to give that to both myself and Valentino (Rossi).”

At the same time, HRC Vice President Shuhei Nakamoto has already admitted his interest in Lorenzo by confirming that ‘we will talk to him for 2015’.

SPORT: Dorna’s Ezpeleta on ‘extraordinary’ Marquez

Friday, 15 November 2013

Carmelo Ezpeleta, CEO of Dorna Sports, has shared his views on the remarkable MotoGP™ title win of Marc Marquez. Riding for Repsol Honda Team, the 20-year-old Spaniard has become the youngest ever rider to claim the premier class title and the first rookie to do so in 35 years.

“We all knew he was good,” Ezpeleta tells Barcelona’s SPORT newspaper. “Marc is an extraordinary guy. Then again, he has also ended up in a fantastic place with a bike developed very much by Dani (Pedrosa). Life is full of coincidences and causalities. What if Stoner had not retired? Where would Marc have gone? Surely to a Honda team, but in different colours - just as Rossi or Simoncelli did when they had their big moments. There are always unknowns.

"Even so, Marquez is a guy who goes through life with a real freshness but he does have two rivals who are on the same level…and that level is very high."

Speedweek: ‘Husqvarna plans Moto3™ entry for 2014’

Thursday, 14 November 2013

As reported by Speedweek, Stefan Pierer - head of the KTM Group and new owner of Husqvarna - has announced in an exclusive interview that the brand is planning an entry to the Moto3™ World Championship for 2014.

Besides KTM, Honda and Mahindra, Husqvarna would become a fourth manufacturer which would compete in the lightweight tier of the World Championship.

“Husqvarna will be part of the Moto3™ World Championship next year,” Pierer explained at the Valencia Grand Prix. "It would be with two riders – we will announce our intentions soon.

“We will see which teams are interested, but Husqvarna will be there in 2014 and with a team and riders who will fight in the top ten. However, we will very clearly distinguish the entry with Husqvarna from that of KTM,” Pierer concluded.

But as Speedweek also explains, some features of the victorious factory KTMs will also be included on the factory Husqvarna, such as: the 55 horsepower 250cc single-cylinder M32 engine by engineer Kurt Trieb, the tubular steel frame and the spring elements from WP Suspension – all set to be standard parts.

L’Equipe: De Puniet to have sabbatical in 2014

Wednesday, 13 November 2013

Randy de Puniet will not participate full-time in next year’s MotoGP™ World Championship, according to French sports newspaper L’Equipe.

De Puniet is quoted as saying “I’ve decided to go in a new direction and to continue with the Suzuki development work which we started on this year.”

During the season which has just concluded De Puniet had already taken part in several tests on the Suzuki XRH1 which the Japanese factory aims to bring into MotoGP in 2015. The French rider is reported to be looking forward to testing the bike in races as a wild card.

CNN - Marquez: The new king of MotoGP's Spanish empire

Tuesday, 12 November 2013

Global media outlet CNN have recognized the unique achievements and talents of newly crowned rookie MotoGP™ World Champion Marc Marquez, singling him out for praise amongst the trio of Spaniards who clinched this year’s titles across the three categories.

Acknowledging the strength of Spain’s participants in the World Championship, with the Moto3™ crown taken by Maverick Viñales and the Moto2™ title clinched by compatriot Pol Espargaro, CNN underlined Spaniard Marquez’ profile as ‘a 20-year-old whose debut season in the elite division has delighted even the most jaded observers of this most daring of motorsports.”

Carmelo Ezpeleta, CEO of Dorna, is also quoted in the report, commenting of Marquez, "Immediately when he arrived in the top class he started coming to the MotoGP executive commission with the other riders, and immediately he wanted to hear and give his opinions; he's a great talent but also a great personality. Of course the personality is important, but just the personality is not enough - it needs to be the personality together with a great, great rider."

Reuters: Let’s not compare Marquez and Rossi says Spencer

Monday, 11 November 2013

Marc Marquez's maiden MotoGP world title at the age of only 20 is great news for the profile of the sport, according to Freddie Spencer, the man whose record the Spaniard broke to become the youngest ever champion on Sunday. However, Spencer also insists the young champion should not yet be compared to former Champion Valentino Rossi – as report global news giants Reuters.
 
Interviewed by telephone on Sunday morning U.S. time, Spencer was up early in Santa Monica, California, to watch the historic Jorge Lorenzo vs Marquez showdown at Valencia.
 
Spencer, who won his first premier-class crown in 1983 at the age of 21, told Reuters, "Marc is very young, very dynamic and a very likeable kid, a good kid. He loves to ride and loves to race and that shows and I think that bodes well for MotoGP. Marc has won world championships on multiple bikes which is one of the barometers but to compare their talent I think would be unfair to Marc and unfair to Valentino at this point. That's a lot of expectation to put on Marc."

Advertising