New to motogp.com?Register here
- Franco Morbidelli (Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS) is the first Italian rider to win back-to-back in the intermediate category since Marco Simoncelli in 2009. He is also the first rider to win the two opening intermediate grand prix races since Jorge Lorenzo in 2007.
- Last year, Morbidelli qualified in 9th on the grid in Austin and crossed the line in 14th; the only occasion since then that he has failed to score points is when he crashed out of the wet race in Germany.
- Miguel Oliveira (Red Bull KTM Ajo) crossed the line in second for the first time of his Moto2™ career in Argentina, becoming the first Portuguese rider to stand on the podium in the intermediate category. Last year in Austin, he qualified on 20th on the grid and crashed during the race in his rookie year.
- Tom Lüthi (CarXpert Interwetten) finished third in Argentina – his 37th podium finish in Moto2™, which is more than any other rider. He finished 7th in Austin last year, from 5th on the grid. His best result on that track is a sixth place in 2014.
- Dominique Aegerter (Kiefer Racing) is the only rider currently competing in the Moto2 class who has stood on the podium in the Moto2 class at Austin since its introduction to the calendar in 2013 – third place finish in 2014 ; the third podium finish of his career at that time. He crossed the line in fourth last year.
- Xavier Siméon (Tasca Racing Scuderia Moto2) qualified on pole position in Austin in 2015, his most recent pole position.
- Fabio Quartararo (Pons HP 40) finished second at Austin in Moto3™ in 2015 to claim his first podium in just his second grand prix start of his career.
1 year ago