1 year ago
New to motogp.com?Register here
- Arón Canet (Estrella Galicia 0,0) qualified on pole position for the second time of his grand prix career; his other was at Valencia last year. He will be aiming to win his first Moto3™ grand prix race.
- This is the first time since Aragón last year that there are only Honda riders on the front row.
- Joan Mir (Leopard Racing) will start from second on the grid. Mir will be aiming to become the first rider to win the first three lightweight races since Nico Terol in 2011, and the first Spaniard to win three races in a row since Luis Salom in 2013. Last year, he crashed in Austin from 27th on the grid.
- Romano Fenati (Marinelli Rivacold Snipers) qualified in third on the grid, his ninth front row in 81 GP starts. Fenati is the only rider currently competing in the Moto3™ class who has had podium finishes in the previous four years in Austin, with a second place finish in 2014 and a victory last year.
- Fenati is on his way to becoming the rider with the highest Moto3™ World Championship point total, currently standing third with 674 points behind Brad Binder (677) and Álex Rins (689).
- Heading the second row is Nicolò Bulega (Sky Racing Team VR46), who will also be aiming to win his first Moto3™ grand prix race. He finished tenth from eleventh on the gird last season in Texas.
- Jorge Martín (Del Conca Gresini Moto3) is in fifth place on the grid, which is his worst starting position since qualifying 12th in Valencia last year. He crashed during the race on his two previous visits to Austin.
- Enea Bastianini (Estrella Galicia 0,0) will start from seventh on the grid, the best qualifying result for the reigning Championship runner-up so far in 2017.
1 year ago