3 years ago
New to motogp.com?Register here
Lots of interesting stats as the paddock gets ready for the second round of the Moto2™ World Championship at COTA.
Below are the stats and facts about the Moto2™ Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas in Austin:
• Tito Rabat has finished second in each of the previous two Moto2™ races in Texas. Last year he qualified on pole for the Moto2™ race in Austin; after getting pushed back to ninth on the second lap he battled his way back through the field to finish second.
• Alex Rins is the only rider in the current Moto2™ starting line-up to have won previously in Austin – the Moto3 race in 2013. Rins also finished 4th in the Moto3™ race last year.
• Mika Kallio finished third in the Moto2™ race at Austin in 2013, and last year he finished fourth after qualifying down in 11th place on the grid.
• There was a multi-rider crash at the first corner of the Moto2™ race at Austin last year, involving; Josh Herrin, Luis Salom, Axel Pons, Nico Terol, Franco Morbidelli and Sam Lowes. With the exception of Luis Salom all of the riders managed to re-start and continue racing.
• Dominique Aegerter took the final podium slot last year in Austin, after battling for the lead for much of the race with Xavier Simeon.
• Championship leader Jonas Folger finished fourth in the Moto3™ race at Austin in 2013. Last year he qualified in seventh place on the grid for the Moto2™ race at Austin, and then crashed out on the fifth lap.
• Xavier Simeon led the Moto2™ race in Austin last year from the third lap up to lap thirteen, when he ran wide at Turn 1 and dropping back to fifth. He then crashed at the final corner on the penultimate lap when pushing to get back into podium contention.
• Johann Zarco finished 6th in the Moto2™ race two years ago in Austin, having started the race down in 17th place on the grid. Last year he was the second fastest Moto2™ qualifier in Austin, but crashed out of the race on the second lap.
• Thomas Luthi missed the race in Austin two years ago; he completed the first day of practice, but then withdrew from the event still suffering with injuries from a preseason crash. Last year he finished 6th in Texas.
• Sam Lowes qualified in 17th place on the grid last year in Austin in only his second Moto2™ race. He was then involved in the multi-rider crash at the first corner which dropped him back to 32nd place at the end of the first lap; he fought back through the field and eventually just missed out on scoring points, finishing in 16th place.
The Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas kicks on Friday, with the first Moto2™ practice session at 10:55am local time.
3 years ago
3 years ago