New to motogp.com?Register here
Sam Lowes (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) finished Moto2™ FP1 at the Gran Premio Michelin® de Aragon at the summit, the British rider’s 1:53.391 was enough to fend off Marcel Schrötter (Liqui Moly Intact GP) by 0.052 seconds. Fabio Di Giannantonio (MB Conveyors Speed Up) completed the top three, the Italian was just 0.058 off Lowes’ pace.
In the opening part of the cold session, Lowes was almost nine tenths faster than anyone. Di Giannantonio and Augusto Fernandez (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) were the only two riders within a second of the Le Mans winner, as fellow Brit Jake Dixon (Petronas Sprinta Racing) had a small run into the gravel as the riders attacked a very cold MotorLand Aragon.
The number 22 was reeled in towards the end of the session though, Schrötter and Di Giannantonio getting themselves to within a tenth of the title contender, Dixon was up to P4. The top three remained the same as the chequered flag was waved, Lowes heading Schrötter and Diggia by less than a tenth. Championship leader Luca Marini (SKY Racing Team VR46) set his personal best time on his final lap to leap up to P4, 0.189 off Lowes, with Jorge Navarro (MB Conveyors Speed Up) completing the top five.
Tune in for Moto2™ FP2 at 15:10 local time (GMT+2).
1. Sam Lowes (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) – 1:53.391
2. Marcel Schrötter (Liqui Moly Intact GP) + 0.052
3. Fabio Di Giannantonio (MB Conveyors Speed Up) + 0.058
4. Luca Marini (SKY Racing Team VR46) + 0.189
5. Jorge Navarro (MB Conveyors Speed Up) + 0.343
6. Jake Dixon (Petronas Sprinta Racing) + 0.362
7. Joe Roberts (Tennor American Racing) + 0.401
8. Hector Garzo (Flexbox HP 40) + 0.574
9. Marco Bezzecchi (SKY Racing Team VR46) + 0.604
10. Jorge Martin (Red Bull KTM Ajo) + 0.716