New to motogp.com?Register here
- None of the riders currently competing full-time in the Moto3™ class have won a grand prix race at the Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit.
- All four Moto3™ grand prix races that have taken place at the Phillip Island circuit have been won by KTM riders. The last Honda winner in the lightweight-class at Phillip Island was Tom Luthi (Garage Plus Interwetten) in 2005.
- Brad Binder (Red Bull KTM Ajo) battled for the lead through the Australian Grand Prix last year, before finally finishing in third place.
- Enea Bastianini (Gresini Racing Moto3) has failed to finish on either of his two previous visits to Phillip Island; he retired from the race two years ago and last year he crashed out on the 14th lap. He has finished on the podium six times in the last nine races and took his first win of the year in Japan.
- Jorge Navarro (Estrella Galicia 0,0) just missed out on a podium last year at Phillip Island, finishing fourth but just 0.009 seconds behind Binder in third.
- With his third place finish in Japan, Nicolo Bulega (Sky Racing Team VR46) made ground on Joan Mir (Leopard Racing) in the battle for leading rookie in the Moto3 class.
- Jakub Kornfeil (Drive M7 SIC Racing Team) led the Moto3™ race in Australia last year at the end of the penultimate lap; he ended up finishing in fifth place, just 0.288 seconds behind race winner Oliveira. Earlier in the race, on lap seven, Kornfeil had run wide and dropped down to 22nd place.
- Maria Herrera (MH6 Team) finished 11th last year in Australia, the best result so far of her grand prix career.
- John McPhee (Peugeot MC Saxoprint) qualified on pole last year in Australia, then crashed out on the seventh lap and collided with Joan Mir - who was making his GP debut as a replacement for the injured Hiroki Ono.
- Francesco Bagnaia (Pull&Bear Aspar Mahindra) set the fastest lap of the Moto3™ race last year in Australia, before crashing out on the 10th lap at the hairpin when battling with the leading group.
4 years ago