New to motogp.com?Register here
This will be the 28th Australian Grand Prix, which has been held every year since the first visit in 1989. Below are some facts and statistics from the previous Grand Prix events held in Australia!
- The first two Australian Grand Prix were held at Phillip Island, before visiting the Eastern Creek circuit for six successive years, then returning to Phillip Island in 1997 where it has since remained. This is the 22nd time that the grand prix has taken place at Phillip Island.
- Honda are the most successful manufacturer at Phillip Island in the MotoGP™ era, with six victories.
- Ducati have had four MotoGP™ wins at Phillip Island - all with Casey Stoner from 2007 to 2010.
- Yamaha have had four MotoGP™ wins at Phillip Island, three with Valentino Rossi and one with Jorge Lorenzo (Movistar Yamaha MotoGP).
- All three podium finishers of the MotoGP™ race at Phillip Island in 2014 were Yamaha mounted – Rossi, Lorenzo and Bradley Smith (Monster Yamaha Tech 3) - the last all Yamaha podium in MotoGP™.
- The only podium for Suzuki in the premier-class at Phillip Island came in 2006, when Chris Vermeulen finished second.
- Valentino Rossi is the rider who has had most grand prix wins at Phillip Island, with eight (2 x 250cc, 1 x 500cc, 5 x MotoGP), followed by Casey Stoner with six wins, all of which have been in the MotoGP™ class.
- Casey Stoner won the MotoGP™ race at Phillip Island for six successive years from 2007 until 2012, the last five of which were from pole position.
- Four current riders have started from pole in the MotoGP™ class at Phillip Island; Valentino Rossi in 2003, Dani Pedrosa (Repsol Honda Team) in 2007, Jorge Lorenzo in 2013 and Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) for the last two years.
- Eleven of the fourteen MotoGP™ races that have taken place at Phillip Island have been won by either Casey Stoner (6 wins) or Valentino Rossi (5 wins). Three other riders have taken one win each: Marco Melandri (2006), Jorge Lorenzo (2013) and Marc Marquez (2015).
3 years ago
3 years ago