3 years ago
New to motogp.com?Register here
- Tom Luthi (Garage Plus Interwetten), who starts from pole for the third time in 2016, will be aiming for back-to-back victories for the first time in his grand prix career. Luthi has not won a race from pole position since the Malaysian GP in 2011.
- Mattia Pasini (Italtrans Racing Team) has qualified in second place on the grid, which is his first front row start since the 250 race at Misano in 2009 when he was fourth fastest qualifier - at a time when four riders lined up on each row of the grid. He went on to finish second in this race – his most recent grand prix podium finish.
- Sam Lowes (Federal Oil Gresini Moto2), who finished second last year in Australia, starts from third place on the grid – his ninth front row start of the year. This is despite two crashes in qualifying.
- Heading the second row is Sandro Cortese (Dynavolt Intact GP), which is his best qualifying result since the Spanish GP. Cortese has twice had GP wins at Phillip Island; in the 125 race in 2011 and Moto3™ in 2012 - when he won the title.
- Jesko Raffin (Sports-Millions-EMWE-SAG) starts the race from fifth place on the grid, which is a great improvement on his previous best starting position - 18th place on the grid at Silverstone this year.
- Championship leader Johann Zarco (Ajo Motorsport), who starts the race from 10th place on the grid, has had two crashes and a seventh place finish in the last three years at Phillip Island.
- Championship challenger and last year’s Moto2™ winner in Australia, Alex Rins (Paginas Amarillas HP 40), has qualified down in 16th place on the grid after a technical problem ahead of his final flying lap.
3 years ago