New to motogp.com?Register here
This is the 26th motorcycle grand prix event to be held in Malaysia. Here are a few facts and figures related to the event:
- The first Malaysian Grand Prix was held in 1991 and has taken place every year since, with three different venues having been used; Shah Alam, Johor and Sepang.
- The first Malaysian Grand Prix held at the Shah Alam circuit in 1991 saw a debut win in the premier-class for John Kocinski riding a Yamaha. Italian riders dominated the smaller classes with Luca Cadalora (Honda) winning the 250cc race and Loris Capirossi (Honda) in the 125cc class.
- The Shah Alam circuit hosted the event for a total of seven years before the Malaysian GP went to Johor for a single year in 1998. The first Malaysian GP to be held at Sepang was in 1999 and this will be the 18th time that Sepang has hosted the event.
- Honda have had five victories at the Sepang circuit in the MotoGP™ era, including for the last four years - three wins for Dani Pedrosa (Repsol Honda Team) and one for teammate Marc Marquez.
- Yamaha have also had five MotoGP™ wins at Sepang, the last of which was with Valentino Rossi (Movistar Yamaha MotoGP) on-board in 2010, which was also the last time that a non-Spanish rider won in the MotoGP™ class at Sepang.
- Ducati have taken three MotoGP™ victories at the track, the last being in 2009 with Casey Stoner. Since Stoner’s win in 2009 the best result for Ducati at Sepang is fourth - in 2012 with Nicky Hayden.
- The best result for Suzuki at Sepang in the MotoGP™ era is fifth in 2010 with Alvaro Bautista.
- The most successful rider at the Sepang circuit is Valentino Rossi with six GP wins (1 x 500cc, 5 x MotoGP). The next most successful, with five wins is Dani Pedrosa (1 x 125cc, 1 x 250cc, 3 x MotoGP).
- Sepang is one of only five tracks where Jorge Lorenzo (Movistar Yamaha MotoGP) has not taken a MotoGP™ victory - the other long time fixture being Sachsenring, with the newer Red Bull Ring, Termas de Rio Hondo and Circuit of the Americas being the others.
3 years ago
3 years ago