New to motogp.com?Register here
- Franco Morbidelli (Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS) has qualified on pole position for the second time in his grand prix career. He is the second Italian rider to start from pole position more than once in Moto2™, alongside Andrea Iannone. He will be aiming to become the first rider to win the three opening races of the season in the intermediate category since Daijiro Kato in 2001.
- Mattia Pasini (Italtrans Racing Team) will start from second on the grid, equalling his best qualifying result in Moto2™ from Australia last year, which was his only front row start at that time. He will be aiming to win his first Moto2™ race. His best result in Austin is a seventh place back in 2013.
- Alex Márquez (Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS) will start from the front row for the third time of this season. He finished eleventh from 21st on the grid last year in Austin, his best result at this track in every class.
- Heading the second row is Takaaki Nakagami (Idemitsu Honda Team Asia). This equals his best qualifying result this season so far. He has not finished higher than tenth in the Moto2™ race in Texas.
- Tom Lüthi (CarXpert Interwetten) is fifth on the grid, his worst dry-weather qualifying result since he was seventh in Aragón last year.
- Dominique Aegerter (Kiefer Racing) is in sixth place. He is the only rider currently competing in Moto2™ who has stood on the podium in the class at Austin since its introduction to the calendar in 2013 – a third place finish in 2014. He also equals the best qualifying result for Suter in 2017, sharing the honour with his teammate Danny Kent’s position in Qatar.
- Ricky Cardus, who stands-in for Brad Binder at Red Bull KTM Ajo this weekend, is tenth on the grid - his best qualifying result since he was seventh at Misano in 2014.