New to motogp.com?Register here
- All five riders who have won in the Moto2™ class at Mugello are now competing in the MotoGP™ class: Andrea Iannone (2010 & 2012), Marc Marquez (2011), Scott Redding (2013), Tito Rabat (2014 & 2015) and Johann Zarco (2016).
- Franco Morbidelli (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) won his fourth race on the five opening rounds of the season; the first rider to do so in the Intermediate-class since Jorge Lorenzo in 2007. With 100 points scored so far, only Stefan Bradl (2011 - 102 points) and Scott Redding (2013 - 101 points) have scored more points than Morbidelli over the opening five Moto2™ races of the year.
- Francesco Bagnaia (Sky Racing Team VR46) crossed the line in second in Le Mans behind Morbidelli, making the first ever Italian one/two in Moto2™.
- Francesco Bagnaia’s podium in Le Mans places him as the first rookie since Álex Rins in 2015 to record back-to-back podiums in the five opening rounds.
- In the Moto2™ era, starting in 2010, only Maverick Viñales has scored more points than Francesco Bagnaia over the opening five races of the year in his rookie season. Top scoring rookies in Moto2™ after five races are: 2014 - Maverick Viñales (62), 2017 – Francesco Bagnaia (53), 2015 – Álex Rins (49), 2015 – Sergio Gadea (47), 2011 - Marc Marquez (45).
- Tom Lüthi (CarXpert Interwetten) crossed the line in third in Le Mans, meaning he equals Sito Pons with his 41 podiums in 250cc/Moto2™. His closest rival on the current grid is Morbidelli with 13. He is the first rider to score more than 1700 World Championship points in the intermediate class.
- Injured Álex Márquez (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) finished in fourth in Le Mans, for the second time this season. He finished twelfth in Mugello in 2015 from 15th on the grid, his best result at that track in Moto2™.
- Mattia Pasini (Italtrans Racing Team) completed the Top 5 in Le Mans. His last intermediate class win was in 2009 in Mugello. He will be aiming to get his first podium finish in 86 Moto2™ starts.
- Lorenzo Baldassarri (Forward Racing Team), Simone Corsi (Speed Up Racing), Tom Lüthi and Dominique Aegerter (Kiefer Racing) are the only riders on the current grid to have stood on the podium at this track in Moto2.
- Ninth across the line in Le Mans, Xavi Vierge (Tech 3 Racing) equaled his worst finishing result so far this year. He crashed on the third lap in Mugello last year from 29th. The crash damaged an airfence and the race was red-flagged.
- Ricky Cardus (Red Bull KTM Ajo) crossed the line in 13th in Le Mans, scoring KTM three points in the Constructors Championship. KTM are currently in second place in the Constructors Championship in what is their rookie season in the Moto2™ class.
- Andrea Iannone in 2012 is the last Italian rider to have won the intermediate-class at Italian Grand Prix.
2 years ago
2 years ago