2 years ago
New to motogp.com?Register here
Tito Rabat (Reale Avinta Racing) had a big crash on Saturday at the GoPro British Grand Prix, suffering his own incident before then being collected by the bike of Franco Morbidelli (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) as the Italian slid out at the same place on the track.
Rabat's recovery: the Spaniard gives some updates on his injury
Multiple breaks in his leg saw Rabat immediately evacuated to a nearby hospital before he underwent surgery, remaining in the UK a few more days before then returning to his home city of Barcelona and the Hospital Universitari Dexeus - Grupo Quirónsalud.
On Monday, the Spaniard held a Press Conference at the hospital to talk about the injury and his recovery.
“I feel much better,” began Rabat with a characteristic positive, “with a lot of pain, but every day is improving and I now feel ready to recuperate as fast as possible, with the energy to do it.”
Looking back on the crash and aftermath, the 2014 Moto2™ World Champion explained it was a tough experience and he’s glad to be back on more familiar shores.
“They were very bad days, the first day after the operation was very difficult, there was so much pain for 24 hours and you can’t sleep. That’s the worst thing because you try to find the position and in one minute you have to change, then the sun appears and you’ve not slept. I also lost a lot of blood which they gave me, and they took very good care of me. Now here at home it’s better, and I can sleep a bit more but no more than two hours. Last night I slept better, let’s see if that will improve.”
When he says home, however, he does mean the hospital – with Rabat's absolute dedication to recovery seeing him remain there in order to work on recuperation 24/7.
“I want to stay here because they have all the machines for my recovery, they can control everything and the doctors can help me recuperate faster,” he explains. “Everything is focused on recovery and we can work on it 24 hours a day.”
Finally, Rabat affirms he’s gunning for a comeback – but doesn’t know when, and will leave the decision in the hands of MotoGP™ Medical Director Dr Angel Charte: “I will ask Dr Charte and do as he says. I’ll push for it to be as soon as possible, but only when he says it’s safe because it’s a matter of safety. But I hope very soon!”
2 years ago
3 years ago
3 years ago