New to motogp.com?Register here
EG 0,0 Marc VDS’ Xavi Vierge will once again start from pole position at the Gran Premio Motul de la República Argentina, 12 months on from securing his first pole, after bettering Johann Zarco’s fastest ever lap around Termas de Rio Hondo with a 1:42.726.
The Spaniard only just took top spot though with both Marcel Schrötter (Dynavolt Intact GP) and Sam Lowes (Federal Oil Gresini Moto2) coming close with their last laps. Schrötter took second, just 0.011 of a second behind Vierge, with Lowes just one thousandth behind the German in third spot.
Vierge’s EG 0,0 Marc VDS teammate Alex Marquez will front row two of the grid thanks to a 1:42.773, meaning the top four riders all bettered Zarco’s previous best ever lap from 2015. Dynavolt Intact GP’s Tom Lüthi is in the middle of the second row before we find the top KTM in Brad Binder aboard his Red Bull KTM Ajo Moto2™ machine.
After showing strong pace all weekend, Remy Gardner (ONEXOX TKKR SAG Team) will start Sunday’s race from seventh on the grid. The Australian’s Q2 lap over a tenth slower than the lap that saw him top FP3 earlier in the day.
Qatar race winner and championship leader Lorenzo Baldassarri (Flexbox HP 40) is eighth on the grid despite being under a quarter of a second slower than Vierge. The Italian is joined on row three by compatriot Nicolo Bulega (SKY Racing Team VR46).
Rounding out the top ten, after ending Q1 quickest, is a resurgent Simone Corsi (Tasca Racing Scuderia Moto2). With the top 13 covered by three tenths of a second, Sunday’s race at 13:20 local time (GMT-3) is not one to be missed!
Top ten Q2:
1. Xavi Vierge (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) – 1:42.726
2. Marcel Schrötter (Dynavolt Intact GP) + 0.011
3. Sam Lowes (Federal Oil Gresini Moto2) + 0.012
4. Alex Marquez (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) + 0.047
5. Thomas Lüthi (Dynavolt Intact GP) + 0.130
6. Brad Binder (Red Bull KTM Ajo) + 0.147
7. Remy Gardner (ONEXOX TKKR SAG Team) + 0.243
8. Lorenzo Baldassarri (Flexbox HP 40) + 0.249
9. Nicolo Bulega (SKY Racing Team VR46) + 0.282
10. Simone Corsi (Tasca Racing Scuderia Moto2) + 0.335
Click here for results!