New to motogp.com?Register here
HDR Heidrun Speed Up’s Jorge Navarro will start a Moto2™ race from pole position for the first time in his career after pipping compatriots Alex Marquez (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) and Augusto Fernandez (Flexbox HP 40) to top spot at the Gran Premio Red Bull de España.
A Speed Up machine will be at the front of the grid for the first time since Catalunya of 2018 after Navarro’s 1:41.182 was enough to beat out Marquez by 0.091 seconds. Fernandez took the final front row spot, a career first for the Spaniard, in his return race after recovering from a monster high side in Argentina that saw him sit out the Americas GP.
ONEXOX TKKR SAG Team’s Remy Gardner will front row two of the grid meaning the leading four riders all set their fastest laps during their first run of the Q2 session. The Australian is joined on row two by another rider returning from an injury absence, Nicolo Bulega (SKY Racing Team VR46), and the World Championship leader Lorenzo Baldassarri (Flexbox HP 40).
There was another fast Fabio at Jerez today too, with rookie Fabio Di Giannantonio enjoying his best ever Moto2™ qualifying to head row three of the grid – even more reason for the HDR Heidrun Speed Up squad to celebrate. COTA winner Thomas Lüthi (Dynavolt Intact GP) will start eighth on the grid ahead of Tetsuta Nagashima (ONEXOX TKKR SAG Team).
Row four is a real blockbuster line-up with three of the pre-season title favoruites holding tenth to twelfth places on the grid. Red Bull KTM Ajo’s Brad Binder took tenth after making it through from Q1, followed by Federal Oil Gresini Moto2’s Sam Lowes and fellow Q1 graduate, Xavi Vierge (EG 0,0 Marc VDS).
1. Jorge Navarro (HDR Heidrun Speed Up) – 1:41.182
2. Alex Marquez (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) + 0.0.091
3. Augusto Fernandez (FlexBox HP 40) + 0.141
4. Remy Gardner (ONEXOX TKKR SAG Team) + 0.184
5. Nicolo Bulega (SKY Racing Team VR46) + 0.211
6. Lorenzo Baldassarri (FlexBox HP 40) + 0.268
7. Fabio Di Giannantonio (HDR Heidrun Speed Up) + 0.269
8. Tom Lüthi (Dynavolt Intact GP) + 0.276
9. Tetsuta Nagashima (ONEXOX TKKR SAG Team) + 0.278
10. Brad Binder (Red Bull KTM Ajo) + 0.346
7 months ago
2 years ago