New to motogp.com?Register here
New fastest laps, fastest speeds and much, much more... here are the ten things that you need to know ahead of Sunday's Gran Premio d'Italia Oakley at the iconic Mugello.
1. Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) has qualified on pole position for the 84th time in his Grand Prix career and the 56th in the premier class (49.1%), two less than the record hold by Mick Doohan (58).
Watch Marquez' pole-winning lap for FREE!
2. This is Marc Marquez’ second pole position at Mugello in the premier class, along with 2014 on his way to taking his only win in the class at the track.
"What I did Pirro did, so I tried to do the same to Ducati"
3. Second on the grid is Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha SRT), the highest-placed Independent Team rider and top rookie. This is Quartararo’s second front row start.
Quartararo looking for a Top 8 but "podium would be a plus"
4. Danilo Petrucci (Mission Winnow Ducati) has qualified in third place, which is his ninth front row start on what is his 124th race in the MotoGP™ class. His best result at Mugello is a third place finish back in 2017.
Petrucci: "There was a lot of pressure to be on pole"
5. Jack Miller (Pramac Racing) starts from the middle of the second row, which is the fifth time this year he has qualified within the top six.
MotoGP™ Italian GP Day 2 recap: Marquez fast when it counts
6. Maverick Viñales (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) starts from seventh, which is his worst qualifying result in the premier class at Mugello since 2015, his rookie season, when he was the ninth-fastest qualifier.
Marquez explains the qualifying mind-games with Ducati
7. Francesco Bagnaia (Pramac Racing) has qualified in eighth place, which is his best qualifying result since he stepped up to the MotoGP™ class this year.
8. Andrea Dovizioso (Mission Winnow Ducati), who is scheduled for his 300th Grand Prix start on Sunday, has qualified in ninth place, which is the second time this year he has failed to qualify within the top six.
Dovizioso quietly confident from row 3
9. Dovizioso set a new top speed record of 356.7 km/h in FP3 at the Mugello circuit.
10. Valentino Rossi (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) qualified 18th, equalling his worst qualifying result in dry conditions in the premier class at the Dutch TT in 2006, when he was injured, and Aragon last year (although he started from 17th due to a grid penalty for another rider).
Row 6 for Rossi at Mugello... but nothing is impossible
2 years ago