Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) has topped the opening session of the Gran Premi Monster Energy de Catalunya, heading the timesheets ahead of another impressive session from rookie Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha SRT) as the Frenchman ended FP1 0.111 down – despite recovering from arm pump surgery following the Italian GP. Maverick Viñales (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) was third and 0.180 down, having topped the timesheets before Marquez began his last minute attack.
There wasn’t much by way of drama – Jack Miller (Pramac Racing), who was sixth, had to get a little creative into Turn 10 and the same corner was the scene of a bit of a snap for Marquez’ Honda in the early stages. The biggest headline stealer saw some modifications on Jorge Lorenzo’s (Repsol Honda Team) tank break cover, with the five-time World Champion having just got back from a post-Mugellp trip to Japan to work on ergonomics…
1. Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) 1'40.692
2. Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha SRT) +0.111
3. Maverick Viñales (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) +0.180
4. Andrea Dovizioso (Mission Winnow Ducati) +0.338
5. Takaaki Nakagami (LCR Honda Idemitsu) +0.348
6. Jack Miller (Pramac Racing) +0.357
7. Alex Rins (Team Suzuki Ecstar) +0.450
8. Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha SRT) +0.468
9. Valentino Rossi (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) +0.498
10. Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia Racing Team Gresini) +0.521
Click HERE for full results and tune in for FP2 at 14:10 (GMT +2) to see if the tables turn in the afternoon.