After setting the pace in FP1 at the myWorld Motorrad Grand Prix von Österreich, FIM Enel MotoE™ World Cup standings leader Niki Tuuli (Ajo MotoE) went over half a second quicker in the afternoon to sit 0.620 clear of second fastest Mattia Casadei (Ongetta SIC58 Squadra Corse), with Bradley Smith (One Energy Racing) just 0.001 further back in P3.
Smith began the day as Tuuli’s closest challenger in the Championship after the Sachsenring – and the top two ended FP1 at the top of the standings. However, no one could live with Tuuli’s FP2 pace as the Finn set a 1:35.225 on his third flying lap, his advantage remaining above half a second for most of the 30-minute session. Casadei finished fourth in FP1 but the Italian was able to find a couple of tenths in the evening sun to jump to second overall, with Smith improving by just under a tenth to slip down a spot to third.
Hector Garzo (Tech 3 E-Racing) was a big improver in FP2 to leap up to fourth from 10th in FP1, the Spaniard managing to find almost a second to sit 0.038 behind the number 38 on Day 1, with Xavier Simeon (Avintia Esponsorama Racing) closing out the top five on the combined standings – just as he did in FP1.
Eric Granado (Avintia Esponsorama Racing) crashed in FP2 and headed to the medical centre for a checkup – rider ok.
The MotoE™ riders will have an FP3 session on Saturday morning at 08:30 local time (GMT+2), before E-Pole takes place 16:00.
Top 10 combined:
1. Niki Tuuli (Ajo MotoE) – 1:35.225
2. Mattia Casadei (Ongetta SIC58 Squadra Corse) + 0.620
3. Bradley Smith (One Energy Racing) + 0.621
4. Hector Garzo (Tech 3 E-Racing) + 0.659
5. Xavier Simeon (Avintia Esponsorama Racing) + 0.739
6. Mike Di Meglio (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) + 0.798
7. Matteo Ferrari (Trentino Gresini MotoE) + 0.874
8. Niccolo Canepa (LCR E-Team) + 0.920
9. Eric Granado (Avintia Esponsorama Racing) + 1.252
10. Maria Herrera (OpenBank Angel Nieto Team) + 1.268
Click here for the full results!