New to motogp.com?Register here
Get your MotoGP™ senses tingling ahead of race day at the myWorld Motorrad Grand Prix von Österreich with 10 of the best stats from Saturday’s qualifying action:
1. Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) has qualified on pole for the third successive time at the Red Bull Ring since 2017. The Red Bull Ring is the only circuit on the current MotoGP™ calendar where Marquez has not won at in the premier class.
Marquez: "Dovi looks like the strongest one"
2. This is the 59th pole position for Marquez on what is his 119th start in the premier class (49.6%) and he is now the rider with the most pole positions in the premier class of Grand Prix racing, moving above Mick Doohan (58).
Michelin Ideal Lap of the Red Bull Ring
3. Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha SRT) has qualified in second place as the highest-placed Yamaha and Independent Team rider. This is the best qualifying result for a Yamaha rider at the Red Bull Ring in MotoGP™, beating Valentino Rossi, who was the third-fastest qualifier back in 2016.
Quartararo shows new found Yamaha strength on row 1
4. Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team), who has finished on the podium over the last three years at the Red Bull Ring including a win in 2017, has qualified in third place. This is Dovizioso’s third front row start since the opening race in Qatar and the first since Argentina. Ducati have taken all three MotoGP™ wins at the Red Bull Ring since 2016.
MotoGP™ Q2 at the Austrian GP: The fight for pole position
5. After passing through Q1, Francesco Bagnaia (Pramac Racing) has qualified in fifth place, which is the best qualifying result of his rookie season in the MotoGP™ class.
Best MotoGP™ qualifying result for Bagnaia in Austria
6. The second Honda rider in sixth place is Takaaki Nakagami (LCR Honda Idemitsu), who had his best qualifying result since he stepped up to the MotoGP™ class last year.
Nakagami not looking for results but to give 100%
7. Jack Miller (Pramac Racing), who was on the podium last week in Brno for the second time this year, has qualified in eighth place. He will be aiming to score his first points at the Red Bull Ring.
Post-Quali Press Conference: myWorld Austrian GP
8. Valentino Rossi (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) heads the fourth row of the gird in 10th place, which is the sixth time this year he has qualified within the top ten. The Red Bull Ring is only the second circuit on the current Grand Prix calendar, along with Buriram, where Rossi has not had a podium finish in the premier class.
9. Pol Espargaro (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) has qualified in 11th place as the highest-placed KTM rider. This is the best qualifying result for a KTM rider at the Red Bull Ring in the MotoGP™ class.
MotoGP™ by numbers: Stats for the Austrian GP
10. Miguel Oliveira (Red Bull KTM Tech 3) has qualified in 13th position as the second KTM rider. This is Oliveira’s best qualifying performance of his rookie season in the premier class of Grand Prix racing.
MotoGP™ Q1 at the Austrian GP: The shootout for Q2!
1 year ago