New to motogp.com?Register here
Despite some light sprinkles of rain in the area, the FP1 session for the Moto2™ World Championship was entirely dry at the Chang International Circuit in Buriram. The PTT Thailand Grand Prix is readying for more action and drama and perhaps surprises in Moto2™, as Tetsuta Nagashima (ONEXOX TKKR SAG Team) lead the way ahead of title contender Augusto Fernandez (FlexBox HP 40) and Luca Marini (Sky Racing Team VR46).
Nagashima hit top spot on his 14th lap of the session, with comfortable margin of nearly four tenths ahead of Augusto Fernandez – the Spaniard was looking to make up for a mistake at MotorLand Aragon two weeks ago. Luca Marini was flying high in third as top Italian rider, as he goes in search of repeating his Buriram podium from 2018.
One of the biggest surprises went to Dominique Aegerter (MV Agusta Temporary Forward), who was placed well in fourth place. There was plenty for the local fans to cheer about as home-hero Somkiat Chantra (Idemitsu Honda Team Asia) initially went top before concluding inside the top five, making it five different nationalities in the top five positions. There was drama for Marcel Schrötter (Dynavolt Intact GP), who crashed at the final corner but was perfectly OK.
Other notably surprising names inside the top ten included Nicolo Bulega (Sky Racing Team VR46) in sixth, Iker Lecuona (American Racing KTM) in seventh, although briefly led, and Jorge Martin (Red Bull KTM Ajo) in tenth. Championship leader Alex Marquez (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) was only 11th, one place above Lorenzo Baldassarri (FlexBox HP40), with Jorge Navarro (Beta Tools Speed Up) only 16th and Tom Lüthi (Dynavolt Intact GP) in 18th.
1. Tetsuta Nagashima (ONEXOX TKKR SAG Team) 1’35.969
2. Augusto Fernandez (FlexBox HP 40) +0.384
3. Luca Marini (Sky Racing Team VR46) +0.404
4. Dominique Aegerter (MV Agusta Temporary Forward) +0.537
5. Somkiat Chantra (Idemitsu Honda Team Asia) +0.604
6. Nicolo Bulega (Sky Racing Team VR46) +0.611
7. Iker Lecuona (American Racing KTM) +0.619
8. Brad Binder (Red Bull KTM Ajo) +0.637
9. Remy Gardner (ONEXOX TKKR SAG Team) +0.643
10. Jorge Martin (Red Bull KTM Ajo) +0.673
4 years ago
4 years ago