New to motogp.com?Register here
Red Bull KTM Ajo’s Brad Binder claimed top spot in Moto2™ FP1 at the Motul Grand Prix of Japan thanks to a late 1:51.055, which saw the Championship challenger displace home hero Tetsuta Nagashima (ONEXOX TKKR SAG Team) by 0.052. Title race leader Alex Marquez (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) completed the top three, 0.288 back from Binder.
It was Binder who was at the forefront of the times from the off at a cloudy Twin Ring Motegi, as the intermediate class bedded themselves in for what is a vital round in the Championship. It was Nagashima who topped the times as the clocked ticked down to 0 but Binder stuck in a late fast lap to take FP1 honours, with Marquez slowly making his way up the timing screens to grab P3. Jorge Martin made it two Red Bull KTM Ajo machines in the top four, with Remy Gardner the second ONEXOX TKKR SAG Team bike in P5.
Italians Marco Bezzecchi (Red Bull KTM Tech 3) and Lorenzo Baldassarri (FlexBox HP 40) crashed in FP1, with Tom Lüthi (Dynavolt Intact GP) lucky to survive a huge moment at Turn 12 towards the end of the session – riders ok.
Moto2™ FP1 at the Japan GP: Friday in full swing
Moto2™ will be back out for FP2 at 14:10 local time (GMT+9).
1. Brad Binder (Red Bull KTM Ajo) - 1:51.055
2. Tetsuta Nagashima (ONEXOX TKKR SAG Team) + 0.052
3. Alex Marquez (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) + 0.288
4. Jorge Martin (Red Bull KTM Ajo) + 0.335
5. Remy Gardner (ONEXOX TKKR SAG Team) + 0.426
6. Stefano Manzi (MV Agusta Temporary Forward) + 0.460
7. Tom Lüthi (Dynavolt Intact GP) + 0.468
8. Luca Marini (SKY Racing Team VR46) + 0.494
9. Somkiat Chantra (Idemitsu Honda Team Asia) + 0.522
10. Iker Lecuona (monday.com American Racing) + 0.529
Click here for the full results!
2 years ago