New to motogp.com?Register here
Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP’s Maverick Viñales currently sits 0.7 clear of Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha SRT) – who encountered an issue in the morning - on Day 1 at the Jerez Test. Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha SRT) is third fastest as the premier class begin their final testing stints of the year at the Circuito de Jerez-Angel Nieto.
In terms of tyre allocation from Michelin, the riders have the same as they did for the Grand Prix weekend: five soft, medium and hard fronts (a maximum of seven can be used), and five soft, medium and hard rears, with the soft and medium compounds using a 2020 test construction. There are also two pieces of the new 2021 test construction front available to all riders, this can be either in just soft or medium or one of each. This is on top of test allocation. And there is also a new front compound to be available to Factory riders only, which will fit in the spectrum in the medium/hard area.
The morning and early afternoon, once the circuit had dried, has provided another chance for MotoGP™ newcomers Alex Marquez (Repsol Honda Team), Red Bull KTM Factory Racing’s Brad Binder and Iker Lecuona (Red Bull KTM Tech 3) to get to grips with their machines on a new track. Meanwhile, Eric Granado has been testing with Reale Avintia Racing.
Keep an eye out for an end of day report, highlights, interviews and a LIVE After the Flag episode later on this afternoon for all the reaction to Day 1 in Jerez.
Times as of 13:00 local time (GMT+1):
1. Maverick Viñales (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) – 1:37.187
2. Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha SRT) + 0.700
3. Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha SRT) + 1.029
4. Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) + 1.040
5. Alex Rins (Team Suzuki Ecstar) + 1.052
6. Pol Espargaro (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) + 1.161
7. Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team) + 1.335
8. Joan Mir (Team Suzuki Ecstar) + 1.361
9. Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia Racing Team Gresini) + 1.468
10. Cal Crutchlow (LCR Honda Castrol) + 1.730
1 week ago
1 week ago
1 week ago