New to motogp.com?Register here
Estrella Galicia 0,0’s Sergio Garcia started 2020 just like he ended 2019, with the young Spaniard topping the first Moto3™ session of the year at the QNB Grand Prix of Qatar after taking a debut victory at the final round of last year in Valencia. Garcia was a tenth clear of SIC58 Squadra Corse’s Tatsuki Suzuki in second, with former teammate Alonso Lopez, now with the Sterilgarda Max Racing Team, sat third quickest.
First out on track in 2020 was the CIP Green Power duo of Darryn Binder and Max Kofler and didn’t take long for someone to receive the unwanted tag of the first crash of the year. 2020’s unfortunate winner went to SKY Racing Team VR46’s Andrea Migno after he tucked the front at Turn 10, but Aspar Team’s Albert Arenas wasn’t too far behind him, crashing at Turn 16.
Garcia jumped to the top of the timesheets with his penultimate lap of FP1, with Suzuki and Lopez unable to better his time. Honda Team Asia’s Ai Ogura was four-tenths adrift in fourth, with BOE Skull Rider Facile Energy’s Ricardo Rossi inside the top five. The top 16 were covered by less than a second, plus the lightweight class rookies look competitive in 2020 too as Deniz Öncü ended fastest of the debutants in twelfth.
Moto2™ are next on track at the Losail International Circuit and the next time Moto3™ will be out on track will be at 17:05 (GMT+3) local time in Doha.
1. Sergio Garcia (Estrella Galicia 0,0) - 2:05.407
2. Tatsuki Suzuki (SIC58 Squadra Corse) + 0.199
3. Alonso Lopez (Sterilgarda Max Racing Team) + 0.388
4. Ai Ogura (Honda Team Asia) + 0.407
5. Riccardo Rossi (BOE Skull Rider Facile Racing) + 0.507
6. Filip Salac (Rivacold Snipers Team) + 0.557
7. Kaito Toba (Red Bull KTM Ajo) + 0.593
8. Tony Arbolino (Rivacold Snipers Team) + 0.692
9. Dennis Foggia (Leopard Racing) + 0.796
10. Darryn Binder (CIP Green Power) + 0.801
Click here for the full results!
Round 1: Moto3™ FP1 at the Grand Prix of Qatar