New to motogp.com?Register here
Petronas Sprinta Racing’s John McPhee was the man to beat as the Moto3™ riders returned to track action for the first time since the Qatar Grand Prix in March. McPhee – who sits second in the Championship – was 0.3 seconds clear of Raul Fernandez (Red Bull KTM Ajo) and Jaume Masia (Leopard Racing) inside the top three on the combined timesheets.
McPhee set his 1:46.263 in the opening session of the day when the temperatures were cooler, with Fernandez the only rider in the top seven to better his time in the afternoon – the Spaniard was also the only non-Honda rider in the top five. The gap between the top duo was 0.321, with Masia and fourth place finisher Tatsuki Suzuki (SIC58 Squadra Corse) the only riders to get within half a second of McPhee’s pace.
After signing a new Rivacold Snipers Team contract on Tuesday in Jerez, Filip Salac was up the sharp end in the test as the Czech rider finished 5th ahead of Free Practice Friday. The Husqvarna of Romano Fenati (Sterilgarda Max Racing Team) was 0.008 of Salac in P6, with Niccolo Antonelli (SIC58 Squadra Corse) just 0.003 off Fenati in 7th. The top 10 at the Jerez Test was made up by Gabriel Rodrigo (Kömmerling Gresini Moto3), Dennis Foggia (Leopard Racing) – the Italian only getting out in the afternoon session after a minor gearbox problem at the start of the day – and Tony Arbolino (Rivacold Snipers Team).
It was a vital day for the Moto3™ riders as they got themselves bedded back in before the Gran Premio Red Bull de España begins on Friday. Watch every lightweight class session live and OnDemand with VideoPass throughout 2020, as well as MotoGP™, Moto2™, MotoE™ and all the other fantastic content available.
Top 10 combined:
1. John McPhee (Petronas Sprinta Racing) – 1:46.263
2. Raul Fernandez (Red Bull KTM Ajo) + 0.321
3. Jaume Masia (Leopard Racing) + 0.330
4. Tatsuki Suzuki (SIC58 Squadra Corse) + 0.382
5. Filip Salac (Rivacold Snipers Team) + 0.560
6. Romano Fenati (Sterilgarda Max Racing Team) + 0.568
7. Niccolo Antonelli (SIC58 Squadra Corse) + 0.571
8. Gabriel Rodrigo (Kömmerling Gresini Moto3) + 0.672
9. Dennis Foggia (Leopard Racing) + 0.709
10. Tony Arbolino (Rivacold Snipers Team) + 0.811