New to motogp.com?Register here
Czech GP runner-up Sam Lowes (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) kicks off Moto2™ proceedings at the myWorld Austrian Grand Prix by setting the fastest time in FP1. His 1:29.133 was just enough to beat second place Marco Bezzecchi (SKY Racing Team VR46) by 0.016 seconds, with Augusto Fernandez (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) also less than a tenth off in P3.
The rain stayed away for the intermediate class on Friday morning and with rain threatening throughout the weekend, the Moto2™ riders needed to make hay while the sun was shining. Lowes was certainly doing so, the British rider was over half a second clear with 20 minutes to go as his competition slowly chipped away at his advantage. By the end, Bezzecchi and Fernandez were right on his tale with 0.044 covering the leading trio.
Jorge Martin (Red Bull KTM Ajo) finished P4 at the team’s home circuit, a strong start for the Spaniard, with compatriot Jorge Navarro (Beta Tools Speed Up) completing the top five. Once again, it was a fiercely contested Moto2™ session with 20 riders split by 0.8 seconds, 0.3 covering the top 10. Eyes will be focused on the skies in FP2 because if it rains, then those sitting outside the top 14 will have a nervy wait to see what the weather brings on Saturday morning before qualifying.
Tune in for Moto2™ FP2 at 15:10 local time (GMT+2).
1. Sam Lowes (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) – 1:29.133
2. Marco Bezzecchi (SKY Racing Team VR46) + 0.016
3. Augusto Fernandez (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) + 0.044
4. Jorge Martin (Red Bull KTM Ajo) + 0.129
5. Jorge Navarro (Beta Tools Speed Up) + 0.157
6. Remy Gardner (Onexox TKKR SAG Team) + 0.230
7. Aron Canet (Inde Aspar Team) + 0.281
8. Tetsuta Nagashima (Red Bull KTM Ajo) + 0.295
9. Lorenzo Baldassarri (Flexbox HP 40) + 0.316
10. Luca Marini (SKY Racing Team VR46) + 0.340
Click here for the full results!