New to motogp.com?Register here
Last weekend’s MotorLand Aragon runner-up Alex Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) finished top of the times in FP1 at the Gran Premio Liqui Moly de Teruel, despite a late crash at Turn 17. The reigning Moto2™ World Champion set a 1:48.184 to beat Takaaki Nakagami (LCR Honda Idemitsu) by 0.438 seconds on Friday morning, with Championship leader Joan Mir (Team Suzuki Ecstar) completing the top three.
With the session kicking off later than it did seven days ago, track temperatures were 10 degrees higher and the times were much faster – only three riders went slower than Maverick Viñales’ (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) pace in FP1 at the Aragon GP. Stefan Bradl (Repsol Honda Team) made it three Hondas in the top four as the two factory orange HRC riders were the only ones to put a fresh rear soft Michelin tyre in. On his second flying lap on the fresh rear tyre, Marquez crashed unhurt coming around the final sweeping left hander while on for beating his lap time. Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha SRT) picked up P5, just under a second away from Marquez’ time attack lap.
Title contenders Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team) and Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha SRT) finished P16 and P17 in FP1, worrying signs for the duo? Elsewhere, Cal Crutchlow (LCR Honda Castrol) suffered a mechanical issue with three minutes to go.
Tune in for MotoGP™ FP2 at 14:30 local time (GMT+2)!
1. Alex Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) – 1:48.184
2. Takaaki Nakagami (LCR Honda Idemitsu) + 0.438
3. Joan Mir (Team Suzuki Ecstar) + 0.809
4. Stefan Bradl (Repsol Honda Team) + 0.819
5. Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha SRT) + 0.916
6. Maverick Viñales (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) + 0.992
7. Jack Miller (Pramac Racing) + 1.027
8. Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia Racing Team Gresini) + 1.121
9. Pol Espargaro (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) + 1.162
10. Cal Crutchlow (LCR Honda Castrol) + 1.172
2 years ago
3 years ago